rome hotel locations help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Rome in November, will be there for 8 nights. We have selected three possible hotels all in different locations. All suggestions and pros and cons of each area and hotel would be appreciated. Caesar House in the colosseum area, LaLumiere at the spanish steps, and Aventino Hotel in the traveste area...
Also since we will be in rome for 8 days do you think a day trip or 2 is in order. Is Florence doable? Would it be best to hore a driver, take a tour, or do the train by ourselves? All information and suggestions would be appreciated. thanks,
Carol
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 06:27 AM
ira

Hi
Florence is doable as a daytrip. See www.trenitalia.com for train schedules and prices.

Other ideas are Orvieto by train or Pompeii. See www.enjoyrome.com.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Good evening, Carol
Preference for Rome areas , I would suggest the Spanish Steps Area, as if
you look at a map of Rome you will find
it much more centrally located than the
Travestere or Colosseo, which means that most sites are within walking distance from the Steps. Main shopping and ristorantes are around the steps, etc.
2.Firenze is excellant for doing in one long day, naturally what you see will be limited as to the time you can spend
there. The railway station. SMNOvella
is located very close to the center of
town. Distances from the station to:
Duomo approx 400 m.. Ponte Vecchio about 600 m. , Pitti Palace 100m more...
Accademia about 150 m..Pza della Signoria about 500m. One way by train runs about 1hr30m. and varies depending upon the train you take....
Richard of LaGrange Park, Ill.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 05:55 PM

Carol,

Just returned from Rome and would highly recommend a little place by the train station called the Hotel des Artistes (check out their web site).

The Spanish Steps I would think would be more expensive albeit a happening area, and the best of your three choices. But anywhere you have access to a near-by Metro or bus stop would be alright.

Florence would probably be doable. If you have no burning desire to visit the Uffizi or Galleria della Accademia, I would highly recommend renting a car at the train station and taking a drive to Southern Tuscany - Montepulciano and/or the spa town of Bagno Vignoni (bring your swim suit) and Pienza. Or you can take the train north to Pisa. Going south to Pompeii, I would think, would not be worth a one-day excursion.

Enjoy, feel free to e-mail if I can be of further help.

r
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Intrepid

Only stay near the Spanish Steps is you don;t mind being in an area that is definitely tourist infested which doesn't seem to bother most people. Being near a Metro stop (and being willing to use it to get around) is another possibility..taxis are relatively cheap and plentiful in Rome if you get tired of walking.

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:06 AM

I would recommend the area near the Pantheon instead. It is much more central and walkable to ancient Rome. We stayed at the 4 star Hotel Pantheon, which had very nice rooms and excellent service, but if you're looking for something a little cheaper, the Albergo Del Senato, a 3-star, is directly across the street from the Pantheon, and has gotten rave reviews on the forum. It has some rooms with views of the Rotunda.

From this location, you can walk to the Trevi Fountain ( 10 min.), Piazza Navona ( about the same), Colosseum ( about 30 minutes) and Spanish Steps ( about 15 minutes). There's always a wide array of gelato places and restaurants right outside your door.

Good luck, and have a great time!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 09:46 AM

There is no "right" answer here of course. But, I have been there a few times and enjoy staying around the Piazza Navona and Pantheon..There are several nice hotels there and have been mentioned. I personally like the Albergo Portoghesi.