Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Budget Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/budget-questions-572020/)

IainH Nov 20th, 2005 11:53 AM

Budget Questions

Myself and two friends are planning a trip to Europe this summer. We're trying to decide how long to go for. We've priced the 2 month Eurail pass at just over $1000 Canadian and our flights to the UK are being paid for by family members. How much would be a good amount to take/spend for a 2 month trip? None of us are big spenders or drinkers so we won't be spending a large amount on things besides hostels and food. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

crazymina Nov 20th, 2005 12:06 PM

Depends what your style of travel is. By food do you mean you will survive often on buying bread and cheese, etc, or do you want to go out and eat? Which countries do you plan on going to? Will you plan on paying to see a lot of museums and such?

To give you an idea, I went to Europe for 4 months and spent about $2500 a month (not counting airfare and eurail). That's about 80-85 bucks a day, and that was a huge budget as far as many backpackers were concerned (however, this was in 2003 where the euro and US dollar were nearly 1:1). I could have done the trip for 2500 dollars less, I think. That 10K included several dinners at a 200-300 a pop (I met my boyfriend in Europe and treated him to some nice dinners, because I had a way bigger budget), and paying for some simple lunches for some poorer backpackers in general. But I also spent a lot of my time in central/eastern Europe. For instance, in Cesky Krumlov, I paid for lodging (about $9 a night), and dinner and drinks for myself and a couple other backpackers and only spent $30 that day. When you have a bunch of $30 dollar days in a row, and the remaining dollars in your $80 a day budget rolls over, you can go really far. My trip was initially planned for 2 months, at a budget of US$100 a day. I decided I had the money to do another 2 months.

ira Nov 20th, 2005 12:25 PM

Hi IH,

First: Before you buy any railpasses enter your itinerary at www.railsaver.com and click "only if it saves me money".

Remember that 2 or more people traveling together get a reduced rate on passes, so be sure to enter two people.

Hostels and B&Bs will run from 30 to 45E pp per night.

Bkfst: Coffee and a roll 3E
Lunch: slice of pizza or
a sandwich or a salad
and a beverage 6E
Dinner: appetizer and Plate or 16E
Plate and dessert

Gelato is about 2E per portion

After a week or so of this ascetic diet, you will want to splurge for a 40E dinner, so plan for it.

You will also have to budget for visits to museums, etc.

((I))

5alive Nov 20th, 2005 04:16 PM

In some countries you can also stay in convents that rent rooms.

In Rome for example visit the Santa Susanna website for a list.

The Let's Go: Italy, Let's Go: France, etc., etc are written by college students and definitely cater to students on low budgets.

Lonely Planet also has the backpacker and/or tight budget in mind. Rick Steves includes some "value" finds as well. If you're relaly on a tight budget check these books out from your library until you determine your favorite and then buy that.

I love this website but I would say that many here are more serious about their food. Ira is right. You probably will want to spend a little more once in a while. However, there are many restaurants between the cost of a piece of pizza and 40E per person.

Good luck!

crepes_a_go_go Nov 20th, 2005 04:48 PM

Ira, have you used the railsaver.com for purchasing? I just checked it for cost and it was half of what I had priced on Eurail and Raileurope. That's one big savings!