Budget places to stay

Sep 26th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Budget places to stay

Now that my itinerary is looking good for a mid June trip I am in need of some great recommendations for budget places to stay in the following places--not wanting to spend over $100 a night for a room I am not going to be in except to sleep. Looking for places with great views, clean facilities,nice people, air conditioning and close to the sights.Any thoughts?
Oia
Naxos town
Paros
Delphi
Nafplion
Athens
Sep 26th, 2010, 09:55 PM

HI BornUSA. Gentle suggestion: rewrite the title as "Budget Places to Stay in Greece" and then proceed with details.
Sep 26th, 2010, 10:14 PM

"rewrite the title as "Budget Places to Stay in Greece" and then proceed with details."

Well -- that really isn't necessary since the thread is tagged for Greece. "Greece" shows up in the thread list, an at the top of the thread so everyone will know you are asking about Greece. And those who specifically look for threads about Greece will also find it by clicking on "Greece"

No need to start a new thread.

It would have been a bit better if you had included your 6 destinations in your title - but not a big deal.
Sep 26th, 2010, 10:20 PM

Oia: Stelios Rooms, Musses Studios/Casa Francesca, Old Oia Houses, Fotinos Houses, Thea Studios, Villa Kallisti, Casa Sofia

Paros: Alexandra's Rooms
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:58 AM

Naxos.
I would recommend you stay close to Naxos Town for all of its activities. Directly adjacent to Naxos town (Chora) is St George Beach. It is a good beach (there are better ones on the island but they are 7km away)
St George gives you a beach vacation easy walk into the towns waterfront for all the activities and is quiet at night for sleeping.
My recommended hotels all within your price range include Hotel Glaros 10 meters from the beach
http://travel.webshots.com/album/65008339YYjlTb
Hotel Spiros with sea views kitchens but 200 meters from the beach
http://travel.webshots.com/album/577937409BloLVg
Hotel Galini and Sofia 50 meters from Glaros but with minimal sea view. Very good breakfast buffet
http://travel.webshots.com/album/577944630zjGouH

By the way you should state your budget in Euro not dollars. Your budget is actually more like 70 euro.

If you want a higher end hotel Galaxy was 100 Euro this June on a walk up basis.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/577938219xWoGvP

All of these hotels have friendly staff and the first 3 are family owned with the owners on site.
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:11 AM

Borngirl --- Now that you are getting down to cases, and requesting specific hotel tips at a specific price ceiling -- it is thoughtful to remind new readers that "I" in your case is not really a solo traveller requesting a single; you're a couple, requesting a double (A single room is usually about 70% of the double price).

ATHENS -- a tough challenge in June: my recommends are Hotel Phaedra (gloomy halls but nice clean basic rooms w. balconies + roof terrace; superb location) Hotel Metropolis (ditto), Hotel Myrtos (on Nikis, newly renovated, also super location). Someone is sure to suggest Hotel Attalos, but it's not the bargain it once was, and the location not nearly as good as these.

NAFPLIO -- This destination is also a challenge, not such a bargain in June as the isles, because it's such an accessible favorite with Greeks. Hotel Leto, Pension Nikolaos, Pension Eleni (all 3 above city, w. views); on the Old Town level area = Hotel Victoria my choice, Hotel Epidaurus (beware of noise on busy weekends), Hotel Athena right on square also great views if u get the right room.

With all recommends, it's very useful to Google i.e. Hotel xxx Trip advisor reviews. There may be a sour note or 2, but look at the preponderance.
Sep 27th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Travelerjan and Stanbr--you have both helped me so much along this journey of planning my trip--thanks for all of the recommendations and helpful hints..now to start looking at some of these wonderful choices and pick the best one to stay in...from the bottom of my heart thank you!!
Sep 27th, 2010, 04:45 PM

That was my itinerary exactly - except in Santorina we stayed in Fira not Oia. Here's the link to my trip report where I reviewed all the places we stayed - all of which I highly recommend and none of which were over $100. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Sep 29th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Brotherleelove--am torn between Stelios Rooms and Musses Studios/Casa Francesca-- do either have breakfast included ...do you have an opinion as to which would have better views of the Caldera or better balconies or rooms??
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:12 PM

Musses does not have a view of the caldera but the top floor studios have a nice view of the sea on the other side of the island. Casa Francesca rooms are on the ground floor and don't have a view (the buildings are connected). If you want to see a photo of the view let me have your email address. Stelios Rooms do have a caldera view from the balconies.

Neither comes with breakfast included but there's a small taverna below Stelios Rooms where I'm pretty sure you can go for breakfast, and my favorite little minimarket/bakery is near to both. Thest two accomodations are practically next to each other.
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:18 PM

Choose Stelios Rooms if you want to re-live your college days. It's just like off-campus student digs with mattress on the floor in the sleeping loft, stained linens, dodgy plumbing in the bathroom, and weak air-con. Stelios Rooms had all that, plus owners who demanded payment in advance (on reflection I can see why, because I would have done a runner if I'd seen the room first!). Unfortunately the owners seem more interested in the taverna downstairs than maintaining the rooms above it. It does have a good view, though. ;-)
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:56 AM

Delphi

There are many family owned small B&Bs all around the place. Distances are small, so location is not that much important. Most of hotels are to be found in the two "main" streets. Most of them have views to the valley on their southern side.
My first choice is
Hotel Pan (If you have no problem with stairs, ask for a room in the top floor- valley view of course). Very good value for money.

Other people seem to love Varonos Hotel (clean and fuctional, decoration that some people would find rather tacky-kitschy)

Sivylla (very very cheap, most rooms don't have air-con though, and it is a bit old and tired).

Other hotels to concider
Hotel Hermes, Hotel Pytho, Hotel Kouros (probably no views from the last one).
Sep 30th, 2010, 07:46 AM

borngirl, if you are not totally "stuck" on the idea of staying in Oia, you might want to look at Firostephani at a LOT of rooms with stunning room-balconies or large roof terraces or verandas with very nice Caldera views that would come in at... maybe not $100 (€70), but just a bit above... and would not have the problems mentioned of faulty a/c, cleanliness etc.

Firostephani is NOT Fira Town... it is on the north fringe of it, quiet at night an easy walk to Fira clubs, restaurants, shops etc but quiet by both day & night. I stayed there in late May 2010 so I know... also just a few yards inland takes you to the main N-S road to pick up the Oia bus; no need to go to the Bus depot in Fira. Best of both worlds.

You might check website for Sunset Hotel, Kafieris Apartments, Blue Dolphins, Mama Thira, Villa Remvi (a particular bargain). ALSO google for Trip Advisor reviews of these and ANY othr hotels you're considering. Last year we stayed at Kafieris in late may, we got one of the 2 rooms with the good caldera view shown on the website.. it also had a small roof terrace. However, we enjoyed a stunning sunset from cushioned loveseats on the roof terrace of Sunset hotel where friends stayed ... the price at each was 60€ per night ... Kafieris as an advance booking, Sunset as a walk-up (usually higher, but they were 1/2 full).

NOTE: if websites show a rate higher than you want to pay, do NOT fill out an inquiry form. Instead use the hotel e-mail and write a letter saying, we're looking for a room with [sea view, or view from hotel terrace] for [dates] at [name your desired rate], do you have anything available? A hotel might just think well, "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush", and adjust their rate... or tell you something close to it. This strategy is worthwhile in ANY locale in any island.

NOTE#2: I would also steer clear from a place that wants advance payment beyond taking your credit card, with a penalty of one night's rent if you don't show up... I've been going to Greece for 11 years, on a budget, and have never put big nonrefundable deposits up front.
Sep 30th, 2010, 10:56 AM

Hi Jan,

Let me clarify: Stelios Rooms took my reservation without a deposit, but demanded I pay in advance when I arrived to check in. I'll also admit that I stayed there once before (in the same room), and knew the mattress would be on the floor. I also knew that the kitchenette had a camping gas burner instead of a stove. What I hadn't expected was the way they had let the room go downhill. When I arrived, the toilet wouldn't flush (the piece of string that held the mechanism together had broken), and the aircon was blowing warm air. Management blamed previous guests for not letting them know, so I suppose I did them a favor by complaining. ;-)

Let me say that the view from Stelios Rooms is outstanding (from the two rooms facing the caldera), and the price is one of the lowest in Oia, so if you are on a shoestring budget Stelios Rooms is worth considering.
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Traveler Jan--am not totally set on Oia--was looking for something away from the main town but I like the idea that the main road is not far away and I can go N-S from there and not have to go into Fira Town for the bus depot...will check out these suggestions...

Also has anyone heard good things about Dillon Hotel in Paros?? I am leaning towards that one but only have read a few reviews. Would love to hear from a LIVE person of their experience there
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:39 AM

For Paros, we can highly recommend Hotel Dina in Parikia
www.hoteldina.com

Dina was so friendly and sweet. She takes great care to keep the hotel spotlessly clean and comfortable. The ambience cannot be beat. To us, this was authentic Greece. Plus, it was a tremendous value (45E per night.) It was the least expensive accommodation of our trip, but by far the best.

The location was perfect; we walked to all the shops, restaurants, bus station, and ferry within a few minutes. The entryway had a beautiful cobblestone path and was filled with tons of plants. The room had a balcony overlooking Market Street, and there was a blue dome church right across from us (which frequently had a little cat sleeping on it). It's a great place to sit out and enjoy wine and cheese, just soaking in the atmosphere!