Budget hotels in Rome?

Feb 14th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Budget hotels in Rome?

I am a grandma travelling solo to Rome in April. I have been there before, but this time I intend to spend all 10 days in the Vatican museums, the Borghese, etc.

To me, a hotel is just a place to sleep. What I like is a local neighborhood with deli's, restaurants, a bank, post office, and close to bus and train stops. I have seen comments both for and against the train station area. A lot of posters like the Pantheon area. Eager for suggestions.

Also, is there any problem being in Rome the week before and after Easter? My other option is June, which I understand is hot.
Feb 14th, 2006, 10:33 AM

If you are going to spend 10 days in Rome, I would suggest getting an apartment. They are usually cheaper than hotels and will feel homier. We used www.sleepinitaly.com to rent our apartment, but also browsed slowtrav.com for many apartment listings.

The pantheon area is nice, but I usually prefer to stay in the Piazza Navona/Campo di Fiori area, which seems to be more central.

Tracy
Feb 14th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Plus we need to know what your budget is per night.
Feb 14th, 2006, 10:52 AM

I'd consider a convent. Cheap and good quality.
Feb 14th, 2006, 11:01 AM

I, too, would go with either an apartment or a convent.

Have fun, grandma!
Feb 14th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Check out:
Istituto Santa Giuliana Falconieri
Via San Giuseppe Calasanzio, 1
email: [email protected]

Very cheap, fantastic location, elevator.

E-mail for a reservation. Sister Kathryn is from Chicago and will reply to your email. She's delightful and very welcoming. The convent is near Piazza Navona. It's my home away from home in Rome. About 45 euro/night.

Feb 14th, 2006, 11:12 AM
KT

Since you asked about problems in visiting Rome at Easter, I think it may be difficult to get convent accomodations at that time, when there tend to be religious pilgrim groups coming to Rome. Especially if you're talking about this coming Easter, because that's not all that far away. You can always try, though.
Feb 14th, 2006, 11:39 AM

For inexpensive apartments I have used realrome.com; my sister and I stayed in one of the via dei Cappellari studios last May. However, an apartment for one may turn out not to be so economical.

Again, good luck.
Feb 15th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your responses! I will definitely persue an apartment, or a convent. Never would have thought of either one.

Shirley
Feb 15th, 2006, 05:37 AM

look at www.vrbo.com for apts.