Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budget hotels in central Rome....are we dreaming?

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Capo

Hi. My girlfriend & I are thinking of going to Rome during her spring break at the end of March for about 10 days. We're both on a budget, and we already found a very good airfare, so now we're wondering about hotels. I've stayed in numerous nice budget ("budget" by our standards is under/near $100/night) hotels in central Paris but, from what I've read, hotels like this are much harder to find in central Rome (from looking at map, "central" Rome to me is the area from Campo de Fiori to Piazza Navona to the pedestrian area near the Spanish Steps.) <BR> <BR>Any personal recommendations for a "nice" budget hotel in any of the aforementioned areas? We'd really appreciate it. (By "nice", I mean at least some charm/character, and we're perfectly fine with a bathroom in the hall if that saves a lot of money.) We'd consider a convent, but only if they didn't have an early curfew, as it seems most, if not all, do. <BR> <BR>Also a few other questions. Have you found English often spoken, or not? Have you found prices to be negotiable based on length-of-stay, or other factors? Did you book online, via fax, or via phone? And finally, from what I understand, the end of March would be considered part of high-season, right? <BR> <BR>We'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions. Grazie!

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Ed

Not dreaming at all ... although it of course depends on what yor definition of budget is. <BR> <BR>The Campo in fact has quite a few recommendable and reasonable hotels. If you do a search on this forum with the single word campo you'll find quite a few threads discussing hotel recommendations there.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 12:23 PM
M.Green

If you don't mind crossing the Tiber and taking a ten minute walk to downtown, I would suggest the Hotel Trastevere. My wife and I stayed there last year for about $110. per night Canadian. The hotel is quite modern and very clean, the staff helpful, and it is located in the middle of a an area that is very active and safe at night. Lots of nice restaurants right outside the door. As I said, a ten minute walk or a quick ride on the tram gets you downtown.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 04:16 PM
jackie

You need to stay at Hotel Giardino. Without a doubt, it is the best price and location. It is between the Victor Emanuel Monument and Trevi Fountain. We walked every where except Vatican City and we probably could have done that too. The address is 24 Maggion and the phone no is +39-066794584, fax no. +39-066795155. I should be getting a kick back from them I have recommended them so much! It is clean and less than $100.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 11:56 AM
Capo

Thaks for the recommendation of the Hotel Giardino, Jackie. We called it, the price & location were good, and they had availability during the time we wanted, but we ended up finding an inexpensive pensione right near the Piazza di Spagna for our first four nights, and then a bed & breakfast in the Prati distict (across the Tiber from the Piazza di Popolo) for our next seven nights. <BR> <BR>Has anyone here ever stayed in the Prati district? It seems like it might be a much quieter neighborhood than central Rome, but still within walking distance.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Rex

to the top for Gail... <BR> <BR>maybe if topping added "keywords" <BR> <BR>budget rome hotels <BR>budget rome hotel <BR>budget hotel rome <BR>budget hotels rome <BR> <BR>Postscript: If this forum had an easier way to locate and direct readers to a specific (previous) posting by a unique identifier (timestamp), it would not be necessary to top (and repeat) information so tediously. This is my new crusade, and I am thinking about adding this postscript (when applicable) to every new reply I make here. If you agree with me, then please write to Danny Mangin or David Downing - - [email protected] - - and encourage them to move forward with this improvement (and any others they have up their sleeves) to this best-on-the-web travel forum! <BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 11:42 AM
richardab

One cheap hotel that is centrally located near the SPANISH STEPS is the Hotel Marcus. I haven't stayed there but my friend said it was decent and cheap. <BR> <BR>I have a link to it in the Rome Section of my websight (look for the SLEEP page). Check it out-- <BR> <BR>http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/