Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budget hotel recommendations - Florence, Sorrento, Venice

Apr 5th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions on budget accomendations for under $100 US, or 75 Euro? It's for 2 people. Staying an average of 3-4 days at each of the locations mentioned.

Thank you very much!
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Check out www.venere.com
You can type in your dates and location and it shows all of the hotels with prices, pictures, and reviews. The only problem is that when you "book" a reservation you are actually only requesting a reservation. Venere then contacts the hotel and the hotel has to accept it. Point being, sometimes the hotel is booked on the dates you requested, but venere isn't aware of it until the hotel turns down your request. So I've found it's best to use venere to find the hotel and then go directly to the hotel website to find availability and book.
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:41 AM

I have booked some friends into the Hotel Bargellino in Florence and the Hotel Il Nido in Sorrento for June. Both hotels get good reviews, and both are close (80-85 Euros) to your budget....
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:35 AM

It's going to make a huge difference when your dates are.
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, should of put in that information. Traveling to these places basically the 1 & 2nd week of July. It's for 2 people, double.
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Type Florence Convents into the search box at the top of the page. Many messages from the archives will appear on the left hand side of the page. I've stayed in convents in both Florence and Rome. Found both to be safe, clean, and basic.
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM

If you decide to stay at a convent, book now, as it's sometimes to get reservations even far in advance.
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Make sure you have AC wherever you stay. I've stayed at Il Nido and it's out of town a bit, but they have a free shuttle. They have a great restaurant with reasoneable prices and breakfast was included in the rate. www.ilnido.it

Check www.eurocheapo.com which I think if part of Venere, but only lists the budget options.

You might try Ira's Florence favorite, B&B Petersen -www.bedinflorence.it It appears very basic, but has AC and is less than 75E.

If you stay in convents, check to see if they have a curfew.

Apr 5th, 2007, 01:29 PM
nma

We stayed at Hotel Abaco in Florence and it was in your price range. Nice, breakfast included and super close to the Duomo!
http://www.abaco-hotel.it/
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:30 PM
nma

I should add that Hotel Abaco is on the 4th floor and there are only stairs. I considered it practice for climbing the Duomo!
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:41 PM

You're in luck - July is considered a slower season in Florence and venice. In July 04 I stayed at Hotel Desire (www.florence.ala.it/desiree/) and in Venice at Hotel Violino D'Oro (www.violinodoro.com/en/index.htm). The Desire was 45€ and the Violino was 60€ - both for singles. Both were great locations, had lifts, AC, included breakfast. I would not hesitate to stay at either of them on my next trip to those cities.