Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Budget Hotel in Montparnasse... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/budget-hotel-in-montparnasse-601254/)

travginny Mar 21st, 2006 04:57 PM

Budget Hotel in Montparnasse...

After spending some time in Normandy and Brittany, I will take the train from Rennes to Paris-Gare Montparnasse.

In the past, I've always stayed in the 5th and 6th Arr. For this coming trip, I'd like to discover the 14th and stay within walking distance of the train station (1km or less is fine). After a lot of research, I've narrowed my choice to the following:

- Hotel des Bains
- Hotel Daguerre
- Hotel du Parc

Can anyone give me their thoughts on these hotels?

Thank you for your help.

Ginny

travginny Mar 22nd, 2006 06:13 AM

ttt

Christina Mar 22nd, 2006 10:48 AM

I stay in MOntparnasse a lot and like it, although I haven't been in those hotels, so I'll comment. I did review their websites.

The locations are all good and very convenient. The Hotel Daguerre is a little different area, near Denfert metro -- that is at the limit of your 1k from train station, probably. I like rue Daguerre and that area, but it's not as lively and being around bd Montparnasse is more convenient for the large cafes, cinemas and of course, the train station. Rue Daguerre would be quieter (not that I know that hotel in particular is quiet, I just mean the general ambience around the area). The other hotels have more convenient public transporation options as they are near several different metro line stops, and Daguerre is not.

As for the hotels themself, they all seem like good budget choices, but the Parc looks really drab to me on its website, so I can see no particular advantage to it. That's just me, you may like it. I think the Daguerre is the nicest, it's a 3*, I think, and Bains maybe only 1*. I wonder about that (website claims it has AC, I'm skeptical, but if you care about that, I'd ask -- it could have that rating due to no elevator, doesn't seem to mention it). Anyway, you can see the reviews on tripadvisor for them, Parc has pretty good reviews considering, although folks mention it is pretty basic and drab, but what do you expect.

Simone de Beauvoir stayed in it once, I guess that is a claim to some fame.

Christina Mar 22nd, 2006 10:50 AM

sorry, I just checked my map and a couple metro lines do run through Denfert, I had forgotten. That would actually be convenient to get to the airport as it's right on the RER line. But if you aren't doing that, I still think the other area might be more preferable for most people.

travginny Mar 22nd, 2006 01:24 PM

Thank you Christine. If I understand you correctly, Daguerre would be your choice of hotel, but the location is not as convenient as where the other two are located.

May I ask where you stay in Montparnasse and why you like that area in particular? As mentioned before, I've always enjoyed staying in the 5th-6th and I'm a little hesitant when it comes to the 14th.

BTW,your comments are always appreciated on this board.

Ginny

ira Mar 23rd, 2006 03:56 AM

Hi T,

Many people have gotten good deals (about $100 dbl) on the Meridien Montparnasse on Priceline.

((I))

DonTopaz Mar 23rd, 2006 04:23 AM

Actually, the 14th can be a very good location to stay, especially for those on a budget. The neighborhood is decidedly residential and non-touristy, so you can get a real flavor of the city. The rue Al&eacute;sia is a great place for finding shopping bargains in its many outlet stores (<i>stock</i> shops), and there are wonderful neighborhood bakeries and restaurants everywhere.

I passed by the 2-star hotel Jardins De Paris on rue Alesia (close to metro Alesia) on several occasions, and it looks perfectly reasonable. According to one website (http://fr.federal-hotel.com), a single room goes for 82 EUR.

travginny Mar 23rd, 2006 06:56 AM

Thank you for your input, Ira and Rizutto. I'll look into your suggestions.

Rizutto: You're reassuring me. I've never visited the 14th when in Paris.

Ginny

Christina Mar 23rd, 2006 10:09 AM

yes, the Daguerre hotel does look like the nicest to me from the websites and photos. The Parc looks the worst, just in appearances, but from Tripadvisor comments on des Bains, their photos may be a little better than reality. They might both be about the same, which wouldn't surprise me given their rating level.

As for location, I personally would like the Daguerre location fine, I just think for you and the things you want, and those who aren't that familiar with the area, the Bains and Parc locations would probably be preferable.

As for me, I like that area partly because I am very familiar with it, so it's like &quot;home to me -- I studied at the Sorbonne one summer and our classes were in a building right near Raspail metro (they still have a building there), so I was there about half the day and got used to the cafes and hanging out with friends there. Then, a few years later I went to summer school at l'Institut Catholique, another university which is mainly in St Germain near the Rennes metro stop, but I stayed in a residence hall run by nuns that was on rue Montparnasse right across from the Notre Dame des Champs church. That's within a block off bd Montparnasse -- so, I just know and got used to that neighborhood a lot.

Aside from familiarity, I like it because it is not as full of tourists, crowds, chi chi shops, etc. (as well as higher prices) as places like St Germain. I know Paris well and don't go to the main tourist spots any more, so some of the considerations a new visitor would have aren't mine (like being within walking distance of tourist sites). I also just like the convenience of the cafes, cinemas and the transportation in that area (there are several metro lines within a few blocks and the train station). Also, it is more a regular residential area in many parts, but not totally as there is stuff to do on bd Montparnasse. I just don't like being in areas that are very heavily populated with tourists so they are the majority of people around in a lot of spots.

Personally, I like it because it is a newer part of Paris than some others (relatively), as I don't like staying in the areas with really narrow streets and congestion so much. Others feel the complete opposite. Because it is newer and more residential, there are sometimes better services than some other areas (like supermarkets).

Most of that won't make any difference to you, though, and may not even appeal to you. I have read numerous posts on here from folks who refer to it as &quot;too far out&quot;, and think it is ugly. You may feel that way, and even in Montparnasse, there are areas where I wouldn't want to stay and that might be drabber or more inconvenient than others, although the locations you picked are fine. It may not have the kind of restaurants and places you want to go, either, I don't know what you like about the other areas so much -- although at your budget, I am assuming you do not want the real expensive shops, cafes, etc. that you may find more often in St Germain. YOu could just be bored by it, though, if you like the excitement around the Seine.

I usually stay at the 3* Hotel Aiglon on bd Raspail, but it would be more expensive than the ones you are considering (I think a double is around 140 euro now).

travginny Mar 23rd, 2006 12:38 PM

Christina, again you've given me the right information. I go to France every year but never stay in the 14th. I'll try it this year and will provide an honest report.

Thank you all for your valuable input.

Ginny

Travelnut Mar 25th, 2006 06:01 AM

Hotel Central Montparnasse is a reasonable price and gets good comments... I don't have personal experience with it...look here and on Tripadvisor.com

http://www.central-hotel-paris.com/
1 bis rue du Maine
75014 PARIS

Tel. : 33(0)1 43 20 69 15
Fax : 33(0)1 43 20 50 09
E-mail : [email protected]
Metro : Montparnasse - Edgar Quinet - Ga&iuml;t&eacute;
Bus : 28, 58, 68, 82, 89, 91, 92, 94, 95, 96
Metro lines : 4 - 6 - 12 - 13

bardo1 Mar 25th, 2006 06:50 AM

The Hotel de Cheuvreuse is a great budget Montparnasse option. Single w/ bath is &euro;35-&euro;55. Double w/ bath is &euro;55-&euro;60. Shared bath is even less. This is a very clean, convenient (2 blocks to Vavin metro), hotel. English speaking staff, no elevator.

Hotel de Cheuvreuse
3 rue de Cheuvreuse
Paris 75006
Phone: 01.43.20.93.16
Fax: 01.43.21.43.72
(no website, no email)

According to these Tripadvisor reviews, it has just been renovated (not that it needed it, based on my stay a few years ago):
http://tinyurl.com/zrvuq

flsd Mar 25th, 2006 07:06 AM

bttt for future reference.

travginny Mar 25th, 2006 09:08 AM

Bardo and Travelnut,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Ginny

Keren Mar 25th, 2006 10:16 AM

I stayed at the Central Montparnasse for 1 night last April, I'd wanted to stay close by the train station because I needed to take a train to Angers and the bus from CDG to Montparnasse was very convenient to the hotel. It was fine - nice and comofortable room, the staff is very kind. I wouldn't stay there for more than 1 night, I find it's a little too close to the station for a longer stay, but will use it anytime I need to be in the area. One hotel that looks interesting is the Moulin Vert, closer to the Alesia neighbourhood.
http://www.hotel-moulinvert.com/
It gets good reviews on tripadvisor:
http://tinyurl.com/llm4x

travginny Mar 25th, 2006 02:45 PM

Keren,

I looked at Hotel du Moulin Vert and found it interesting: the price is right (96&euro; double) and it is within walking distance to the Gare Montparnasse(1km).

One last question: Can you tell me something about the Alesia neighbourhood?

Thank you for your help.

Ginny

Keren Mar 26th, 2006 04:53 AM

Hi Ginny,
I wandered around the area for 1 day in September 2004, it's a quiet, residential neighbourhood, with some interesting architecture here and there (artists used to live there). I think it's very safe, too. I liked walking down to the parc montsouris, which is lovely and has some gorgeous alleys nearby. I enjoyed my lunch at Felicie, 174 ave. du Maine, it was a big, fresh salad with lots of vegetables and smoked salmon. Delicious. Rue d'Al&eacute;sia has some shops selling second hand designer clothes, around place Victor &amp; H&eacute;l&egrave;ne Basch.
You can read more about the 14th in the Rough Guides to Paris, which I recommend. Information is also online.

Travelnut Mar 26th, 2006 09:08 AM

Have you looked at Hotel Delambre? It was updated a couple of years ago, and is by Metro: Vavin, very walkable to Gare M. (same street as Hotel de Bains)
http://www.delambre-paris-hotel.com/
85-115&euro;

Also, this 2* recently upgraded and looks quite sweet online:
http://www.agenor-paris-hotel.com/
68-91&euro;
(near the Daguerre)

Christina Mar 26th, 2006 09:25 AM

I think the Alesia area is kind of dull compared to some of the other areas you mentioned, myself. It's a quiet, residential middle-class area, that's true -- and rue d'Alesia itself is a shopping streets with many discount clothing stores, bags, lingerie, well lots of stuff (and a Monoprix). There are several cinemas on that street, but they don't have VO movies that often (version originale), most are dubbed into French. In priority, I would put that below Daguerre in terms of what I would think desirability for someone who doesn't know Paris very well and is a tourist. There's nothing &quot;wrong&quot; with it, I just think it's kind of dull for what I'd want on a vacation, but I like to go out at night -- and I don't mean to clubs, just nice popular cafes and bistros. Daguerre would be much better IMO for a location.

It's much farther, also, I can't imagine someone walking from Gare Montparnasse with luggage to that hotel MOulin Vert. I think it is longer than 1 km, more like 1.5 km. Did you find some online distance map website that said it was only 1 km?

These are just my opinions, you could love it. I'm just not sure what you are seeking in terms of neighborhood, since you said you were wary of getting out of the 5th and 6th, which I assume is because of the activity, location, tourist-orientation, etc. So to go from there to Alesia would be more of an adjustment than from there to around bd Montparnasse or even Daguerre. Even in Alesia, I have to converse in French with shopkeepers, for example, as most don't speak English that much. You will certainly get by, of course.

travginny Mar 26th, 2006 03:03 PM

Travelnut: I just checked the Delambre and the Agenor. After Mapping their distance to the Gare, I believe they're more within walking distance than the Moulin Vert would be.

Christina: You're right about the reasons I stayed in the 5th-6th on previous trips. I also stayed in the Marais a couple of times (forgot to mention it earlier). I like good neighbourhood restaurants (not necessarily fancy), bistros where I can sip a glass of red and watch the world go by. French being my first language, I wouldn't have a problem in Alesia. However, after a good look at the map, I see that it's too far from the &quot;activities&quot; and the station.

Thank you all for your input. It's been really helpful.

Ginny