Budget airline from Paris to Rome

Jan 22nd, 2010, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Budget airline from Paris to Rome

Hello to all

My husband and I will be traveling in August to Europe and spending 3 days in London, Chunnel for 3 days in Paris and flight for 4 days in Rome. After reading various posts regarding the 15-18 hour train ride from Paris to Rome, I've decided that a flight would be a quicker option for us. Luggage will not be a problem for us as we always travel light with one carry on per person. We've never flown on a budget airline in Europe so any advice will be most welcomed.

Easy Jet flies from Orly to Ciampino for 160 Euros, Vueling from Orly to FCO for 240 Euros, and Ryan Air from Beauvais to Ciampino for 100 Euros. Am I correct in that Ryan Air, although the least expensive option, is the least convenient due to the location of Beauvais? Easy Jet, the next least expensive, may also be a bit inconvenient due to the location of Ciampino and may cost more in transportation to the Trastevere area of Rome? Vueling, the priciest, may be the better option perhaps?

Any help and advice from someone who has done this before would be very helpful.

Thank you
Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:17 AM

I'd avoid Ryanair because Beauvais is a long way from Paris.

If you fly Vueling, you can take a regional train directly from Fiumicino to Trastavere for 5.50 euro.

If you fly easyJet, you can take a Terravision bus from Ciampino to Termini for 4 euro. Getting from Termini to the Trastavere area won't cost much by either the Metro or a taxi.
Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

TimS...I know this seems like a dumb question but are the buses easy to find? I've never been to Italy and I've never used where I live so I'm a newbie at this. Do they have a specific area at the airport for buses? Is it easy to spot the bus numbers on the buses? Do you pay when you get on the bus or have to find a machine or booth where you buy the ticket?
Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:54 AM

The Terravison buses and other buses that provide service between the airport and Rome are parked in dedicated bays opposite International Departures. For details on the Terravision service, go to this page: www.terravision.eu/rome_ciampino.html.
Jan 22nd, 2010, 12:16 PM

The buses to Termini Station from Ciampino are conveniently located right in front of the terminal. However, you might think about getting a taxi instead. We took the bus from Termini for 4 euros each (8 euros), and then a taxi from Termini to the Pantheon area, where our apartment was located (28 euros). We took a taxi back to the airport from the Pantheon directly to Ciampino -- 30 euros flat rate.

Next time we're taking the taxi from the airport to the apartment and not bothering with the bus!
Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:12 PM

Yes, I agree on the Taxi. We took one from near the Presidential Palace to Ciampino and was E30 flat rate.

We flew both RyanAir and EasyJet in Europe and both were fine. What you would expect for low-cost airlines. The EasyJet staff at Ciampino was very friendly and helpful. I would have no hesitation flying either one again.

Please make note that each of these airlines has baggage limitations (weight and size), so do check those out before booking.

Have a wonderful trip!
Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:29 PM

We flew Easyjet in Europe and they were fine. We did have checked luggage which we paid for but we did notice that at the gate Easyjet staff checked out everyones carry on bags and if they thought they were on the large size they made the owner put it through a fixed metal frame. Serveral owners could not fit their bags through and they were made to check the bags which cost quite a considerable amount. The owners were not happy but they had no other option.
Pur flight was full so I dont know whether this was the reason or it is common practice
Jan 23rd, 2010, 02:54 AM

Use this site to find all the options for taht route

http://www.skyscanner.net/

Like Easyjet, hate Ryanair....
Jan 23rd, 2010, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

I am leaning towards Vueling, although the priciest, their flight schedule gets us into Rome earlier, 12:30p.m. and allows for at least half a day of seeing the sights of Rome. Easy Jet gets us in to Ciampino at 3p.m. and by the time we take a taxi to the B&B and get settled, the day will gone.
Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:43 AM

Why do you want to fly on a discount airline when you can fly on Air France Paris-Rome return for 122 E?

I just found that fare -- admittedly, it is not available every day and certainly not on all flights -- on Air France's website, with a couple of August dates chosen at random.
Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:43 AM

It used to be that the Terravision bus only served certain discount airlines and you were required to show your ticket/boarding pass. There is a newer bus shuttle (Sit Bus Shuttle) in Rome from Ciampino and FCO to Termini or Piazza Cavour (near Castel Sant'Angelo) that doesn't have those restrictions (Terravision may have dropped theirs since they now have competition, but I think they are owned by one of the budgets).
http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/index.ph...mid=55&lang=en
Jan 23rd, 2010, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Tedgale..I have checked Air France and Alitalia and both are way overpriced for us. Air France shows a price of $1192.00 and Alitalia shows $1843.00! I think we'll stick with the budget airlines.

Search this Thread