Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Budget Airline Amsterdam to Paris?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/budget-airline-amsterdam-to-paris-601035/)

brenhur Mar 21st, 2006 02:42 AM

Budget Airline Amsterdam to Paris??

Hi, i just can't seem to find a budget airline that flies from Amsterdam to Paris. Please help !!!!!!!!!!

Intrepid1 Mar 21st, 2006 02:45 AM

You probably won't for the simple reason that the fast and frequent rail service has pretty much wiped out the market for "budget" flights between the two cities.

grsing Mar 21st, 2006 02:49 AM

As Intrepid said, there simply aren't any. You'd have to go to somewhere in Germany to get a flight; may as well just take the train to Paris.

Intrepid1 Mar 21st, 2006 02:54 AM

Don't feel badly or too suprised since the same phenomenon has also occurred between Cologne-Franfurt: the 57-minute trip via ICE prompted Lufthansa to pretty much discontinue all their air service between those two cities.

ira Mar 21st, 2006 02:56 AM

Hi B,

You can find fast, fairly inexpensive rail connections at www.voyages-sncf.com.

4 hr city center to city center, about 100E.

((I))

rex Mar 21st, 2006 03:23 AM

<< 4 hr city center to city center, about 100E. >>

Contrast this with a very similar segment in the US... Cincinnati-Cleveland, where tomorrow... Delta and Continental will offer you a choice of ten "competing" departures per day, 69-74 minutes (about 45 minutes actual flying time), for the low, low price of $1073 per person, roundtrip.

That's not a typo; my fingers didn't stumble and add a fourth digit after the 7.

Why there is no startup alternative on this route quite amazes me. It sure isn't because rail competition has the market boxed up!

Oh, how we love our cars.

Best wishes,

Rex

grsing Mar 21st, 2006 03:57 AM

The distances are similar, but Cinncinnati and Cleveland are not exactly in the same league of importance as Amsterdam and Paris. Doesn't mean that that price isn't completely ridiculous, of course, just saying.

rex Mar 21st, 2006 05:02 AM

The commerce between the two city pairs (and their regions) and movement of people, on a daily basis - - is probably more similar than it is different.

The highway (truck) movement of (finished) goods on the Cincinnati-Cleveland axis is probably a good deal greater than on the Paris-Amsterdam axis; thus the state and federal governments have had a greater stake in maintaining a good (fair) asphalt conduit.

The rail movement of raw materials along the same corridor is quite paltry, by comparison. I suspect that the movement of 1000 tons of something (say, iron ore, for example...) is cheaper (and occurs far more frequently) from Duluth to Cleveland than from Cincinnati to Cleveland.

Same is probably true of Cincinnati to Memphis (coal, for example), compared to Cincinnati to Cleveland.

Admittedly, the maritime and rail movement of materials has virtually nothing to do with passenger transport, so I apologize for my considerable transgression. Still, sometimes understanding the pricing of any transportation services (and the funding of the relevant infrastructures) does require an understanding of <i>intermodal</i> transportation demand... and supply.

grsing Mar 21st, 2006 05:10 AM

Absolutely; the point about the US loving our cars/trucks is certainly valid (I can't imagine being a tourist in the US in most cities without a car, much less in the countryside, while it's eminently possible in much of Europe).

Intrepid1 Mar 21st, 2006 05:13 AM

Yes, we do love our cars here and even when we DO consider rapid transit there are plenty of forces out there who lobby that it be done by road.

seeksocean Mar 22nd, 2006 02:22 PM

IRA or anyone, I notice that the difference between the cost of a 1st and 2nd class ticket between Paris and Amsterdam is significant (314E or 195E). Is it worth it to go first class? Thanks!

seeksocean Mar 22nd, 2006 02:38 PM

Oops, I believe that's for two tickets.