Budget airfare to MunIch?

Feb 2nd, 2002, 08:40 AM
Michael

Budget airfare to MunIch?

Greetings,
We are a family of four contemplating a trip to Munich the last two weeks in July. So far we have been astounded by the high rate of quoted air fares ... does anyone have insights into what we might reasonably expect to pay, Chicago to Munich? We were thinking in the $600 to $700 range each (again, this is late July 2002) but that's about half what I'm seeing advertised. Suggestions?

Feb 2nd, 2002, 08:48 AM
Rex

I'll be very surprised if you can find $700 or less for Chicago-Munich, in mid- or late July.

Suggest you ask on the Cheap trips forum of www.eurotrip.com or investigate travel into London; some cheap flights from London to the continent, though I am not sure about Munich specifically.

Best wishes,

Rex

Feb 2nd, 2002, 08:54 AM
Bob

Check for cheap flights into Frankfurt instead then drive to Munich and enjoy a night in Rothenburg on the way over. You may be able to save money that way. Just a thought.

Feb 2nd, 2002, 08:55 AM
kavey

You could try to fly into London and then go with GO or one of the other cheap airlines to Munich?

Or try the non direct fares, via Frankfurt or another European hub?

Would that be less expensive?

Feb 5th, 2002, 08:28 PM

topping, for michael

Feb 6th, 2002, 06:11 AM
xxx

TTT

Feb 6th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Dick Yeager

Michael,

I just ran a quick check for 4 adults (children over 11) from July 17 with a return on July 31. This is a 2 week window, Wednesday departure and Wednesday return. Weekends would be a little higher.

Travelocity: $1096.50 each, including tax. United

Orbitz: $1100.00 each, including tax. US Airways

Travelteam: $770.00 each plus tax. Carrier unnamed, but probably US Airways, Continental, Delta, etc. You know before you pay.

Dick

Feb 17th, 2002, 06:28 AM
John

I've been amazed at how high flight costs are this year. I'd say several hundred dollars more per flight.

My experience the last two years has been that priceline has saved me $200-$300 per ticket--really! It has it's downsides: no frequent flyer miles, you won't know the itinerary/airlines till purchased and some airlines do not allow seat selection till you are at the airport (though Continental did immediately upon purchase). But if cost is the big issue, I'd suggest priceline.com

Good luck. Leave a note if you find a good fare!

Feb 20th, 2002, 10:52 AM
JG

I just booked 5 tix (for my husband, myself and our three kids) from Nashville TN to Frankfurt for $457 each! Got them thru Hotwire.com yesterday afternoon, and this morning got my FedEx overnite envelope with the tix!! We will be flying on Air Canada, going for Spring Break (end of March)....check out Hotwire, they have me sold!!

Feb 20th, 2002, 12:18 PM
ellen

Last April I bought a ticket on USAir to Frankfurt for $342. It was good for travel through the first week in June. It's highly unlikely that you would seen anything like that to Germany in mid summer however. But ver $1000 seems quite pricey. Maybe you should wait.

Mar 5th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Mike

Thanks much to all for responding. This is very helpful though we have yet to book a flight. We're being patient, hoping to find a summer bargain. Fingers are crossed!