Budget airfare from Paris to Milan?

Dec 6th, 2000, 08:43 PM
betsy

Budget airfare from Paris to Milan?

We'll be traveling from Paris to Milan in October 2001. We have FF miles with TWA and they are discontinuing service into Milan at the beginnng of the year. (Is this any way to run an air line?) We are looking for the best way to get from CDG into Malpensa or Linate. Most of the budget airlines seem to originate in London. Can anyone help with the Paris-Milan route?

Dec 7th, 2000, 01:47 AM
Ben Haines

Lumbered as you are with free air miles, I hope you find a plane. But other readers may like a reminder that the Stendhal Express saves travel time and a hotel bill. You enjoy an evening in Paris, leave the Gare de Lyon at 2216, and reach Milan at 0845, fresh and ready for good coffee at breakfast

The train has Excelsior coaches, with new sleeping cars. Detail is available from [email protected]. Bookings can be made with a credit card by phoning, in Britain, Rail Choice, South East London, website http://www.railchoice.com, e-mail [email protected], and phone ++44 20 7939 9915, or (for normal sleepers and couchettes but not yet Excelsior), Network Leisure Travel, Cannon Street, London on ++20 7904 0540.

Excelsior coach travellers have use of Club Eurostar lounges in stations in Milan. Excelsior coaches have air conditioning, a reception area with corridor TV, and in compartments they have seats, a private bathroom with shower, toilet, washbasin, drinking water, a welcome drink, and a light breakfast, and give passengers use of Club Eurostar lounges in Italian stations. Services are these. The fares shown are those set in France for December 2000, and may vary a few percent with exchange rate changes.

On the Excelsior, coaches, there are double compartments at 274 dollars for two. On traditional sleepers on the Stendhal fares per person are doubles 131 dollars, and berths in 3-berth compartments 113 dollars. And in couchettes berths in 4-berth compartments cost 95 dollars and in 6-berth compartments cost 83 dollars. All these fares are offered at 1.7 percent of cost for a return trip, 85 percent of cost for seniors and young people, and 75 percent of cost for children. There is also a "matrimonial" compartment with double bed at 492 US dollars for two

The train has a restaurant car.

Plesase write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe

Ben Haines, London

Dec 7th, 2000, 09:12 AM
sam

I took an older sleeper car train from Paris to Florence and we pulled into a station somewhere in France. A train was at the station with Excelsior coaches. That was a very nice train. It looked like a Hotel on tracks. I felt pity upon myself for having to go back to my crowded 6 person sleeper.

Dec 7th, 2000, 10:37 AM
Heather

Thank you, Mr. Haines. I was planning the reverse trip and will look into the Stendhal Express and the Excelsior cars. Your advice was an enormous help.

Dec 7th, 2000, 05:17 PM
Rex

Cost-competitive (excluding the "free" lodging on the train) is the Thalys from Paris to Brussels, and then www.virgin-express.com to Milan.

Belgium is worth going to anyway. And I prefer to sleep in hotels, without wheels under them.

Dec 9th, 2000, 07:31 AM
betsy

Thanks so much, Ben. I am honored that you responded to my request. I follow your posts on this board and am in awe of the breadth of your knowledge.

We will certainly consider traveling by train to Milan. We will be traveling from San Francisco. I was hoping to be able to find a plane from CDG to Malpensa or Linate. Can't see trying to maneuver from CDG to Gare de Lyon

Dec 9th, 2000, 07:34 AM
betsy

Oops, computer burped and the message posted before it was completed.

...from CDG to Gare de Lyon after an overnight flight from SFO. Maybe we will consider staying in Paris for a day or so, definitely an acceptible alternative. I grew up in a railroading family and love to travel by train in Europe.