Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budget accomodations in Garmisch Partenkirchen

Old Apr 19th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi we need 3 nights budget accomodation inclusive of breakfast in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. We are 2 adults and 2 chilren of 9 years and 8 years. Our budget is Euro 60-80 per night.

Any recommendations are welcome as the tourist office has not really been of help.

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 04:01 AM

Hello SKPKCP11

Price depends upon the season/time of year. When are you traveling?

Have a look at www.hrs.de. Set the language for English or US (or any other listed there), select Euros for price, add in the children, adjust the price bar to your parameters, and it will give you results.

Some hotels will have family rooms available or perhaps just a fold-out sofabed for the children. You may also need to stay a bit out of the city to find your exact price point.

Happy travels!
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 06:41 AM

Hi SKPKCP11,

I live in GaP, but unfortunately haven't ever stayed in a hotel or vacation apartment here.

I think your best bet would be to do a search by date and number of persons at this site:

http://www.gapa.de/Garmisch_Partenki...erkuenfte_book

(It should come up in English; if it comes up in German, just change the language using the menu on the upper left.)

Under Accomodation Type, you would probably want to select either "Inn" or "B&B." There are dozens of inexpensive little pensions tucked everywhere here, and that's how they would be labelled.

If you come up with a short list and have questions, we'll be happy to help!

s
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 06:48 AM

ok, I just played around with the site, and you'll get more responses if you choose "Guest House." I put in some random dates in June, and got five results, with one at 72 e per night. However, I think you may have to make a compromise to either raise the nightly rate or get breakfast on your own.

Hope you find something!

s
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Swandav2000. We will be in GP from May 10-13.

In case as a local you know any good recommendations, please let us know.

From GP we will move to Berchtesgaden. Is there a quick way to go without going to Munich. Have just realised that it takes 6 hrs.

Thanks.
SKPKCP11
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 09:48 PM

Hi again,

Unfortunately, most of the folks I know here are other Americans. I do have one German friend who runs a Ferienwohnung, but those generally only rent out for one week (plus the apartment is in Grainau, which is a little inconvenient).

No, unfortunately, there is no quick cut-through to getting from Garmisch to Berchtesgaden. But the scenery should be nice, so just stock up on some picnic supplies, relax, and enjoy the scenery! It's also a good chance to do some world-class people-watching!

I hope you find something!

s
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Swandav2000. Any recommendations on budget eating in Garmisch. We enjoy pork dishes & pastries/ice creams.

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 03:31 AM

Hi again,

The cheapest way to eat will be to visit the supermarket; there is a big one (Tengelmann) in the GEP shopping center in the center of town. They'll sell pastries and all kinds of pork products, many of them already cooked.

The next cheapest way to eat would be to buy from food stalls, and there are more of them during festival periods. If there are no food stalls out while you are here, you can always pop into a Metzgerei (butcher shop), and they will set you up with a cooked sausage or pork sandwich. One of these places is Metzgerei Reiser, on Chamonixstrasse.

There is a small place on a corner along the am Kurpark that sells German fast food (grilled sausages type thing), but I can't remember the name of it right now. I think it is the Schlemmereck Schönbeck

There is this restaurant that is in a sidestreet:
http://www.zum-steirer-sepp.de/speisekarte.htm

I've also enjoyed eating at the Hofbräustüberl, which is inexpensive even though it's well located at the corner of Chamonixstrasse & Olympiastrasse.

I hope that gets you started!

s
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Swandav. Your info is really valuable. Are the butcher shops labeled at Metzgerei ...... ? And what do you mean by Hofbräustüberl?

What is the best means of transport in terms of buying tickets? Is there some regional ticket which is valid for 2 adults & 2 kids and can be used across everywhere. We would like to visit Innsbruck. Any other attractions which are a must see?
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 10:46 PM

Hi again,

Glad it is useful stuff!

Yes, "Metzgerei" is the German word for butcher, and they will all have this, plus the name of that particular shop (usually a family name).

Hofbrästüberl is the name of the restaurant. A "stüberl" is a cosy little pub-type place.

Yes, the Bavaria Ticket (or Bayern Ticket) allows 2-5 people to travel all day within the state of Bavaria, and I think it costs 28 e. It is valid only on regional trains, and it is valid only after 9 am. It is valid as far as Salzburg, but not as far as Innsbruck; you would have to buy everyone a ticket from Mittenwald to Innsbruck.

The Bayern Ticket will cover your travel to Berchtesgaden, too. Here is a map of its validity:

http://www.bahnland-bayern.de/conten...ennetzplan-pdf

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 02:37 AM

We had several good meals at Zum Wildschutz, just off the main drag in Garmisch. HUGE portions and a great atmosphere, all at reasonable prices.

We stayed at Haus Annalina on Gehfeldstrasse 15, a 5 minute walk to the train station. These are apartments with no breakfast, but you can save a lot by buying some groceries yourselves.