Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   budget accommodation in Vienna (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/budget-accommodation-in-vienna-258947/)

cindy Sep 17th, 2002 10:31 PM

budget accommodation in Vienna

Hi, i'll be in Vienna for a few nights next month. I'm on budget trip and I would be grateful if anyone can recommend me affordable accommodation in Vienna that is around USD80per night. As long as the hotel is not too inconvenient, is safe and has private bathroom in the room, I'm happy.<BR><BR>cindy

Rick Sep 18th, 2002 03:56 AM

Take a look at Pension Nossek. Stayed this summer based on recommendations from this forum and travel books. We found it clean, reasonable in price, and centrally located. Owner was helpful with directions, reservations and providing maps. It has a website.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip - we loved Vienna!

zootsi Sep 18th, 2002 04:31 AM

I will second Pension Nossek. Great location, very clean and spacious. I don't know about auto parking however, since it's on a pedestrian plaza.

Liz Sep 18th, 2002 04:59 AM

We liked Pension Hargita in June:<BR><BR>http://www.bekesi.at/~hargita.at/en/home/index.asp

Phil Sep 18th, 2002 05:34 AM

We have reservations for the Pension Nossek for the middle of October. The rate for a double is 98.10 Euros pernight. They do not accept credit cards.

Ira Sep 18th, 2002 08:52 AM

I can recommended the Hotel K&auml;rntnerhof, where I stayed a few years ago. An ensuite single is under 90 Euro. <BR>See http://www.tourist-net.co.at/hotel/kaerntnerhof/kh1e.htm<BR>

Greg Sep 18th, 2002 10:06 AM

Cindy,<BR><BR>Last year we stayed at a place called the Tourotel. It is located near the West train station. The neighborhood is safe, the rooms are large and it was only $70 per night for a double with bath. The staff is friendly and the hotel has a nice restrauant. If you are interested I can send you the internet link. Have a good trip.<BR><BR>Greg<BR>

Linda Sep 18th, 2002 10:50 AM

The Hotel Drei Kronen is a 3* hotel just outside the Ring near the University so visiting professors stay there. It is about an 8-minute walk to the Opera and maybe 3 to a UBahn station. There is a very nice open market across the street and a grocery store in the next block. The buffet breakfast is excellent. Try nethotels.com for reservations. I was pleased, it is safe and has private bathroom & shower in room.

Cindy Sep 18th, 2002 06:43 PM

hey, thanks for your suggestions! I'm really excited to find out more about all the hotels that were recommended to me by all of you. Liz and Ira have given me the websites to check out. If it's not too much trouble, can I also have the websites for Pension Nossek, Tourotel and Hotel Drei Kornen? If there isn't any webiste, how can I get in touch with them to make my reservation? Really appreciate your help...thanks.<BR><BR>Cindy

Linda Sep 18th, 2002 09:46 PM

Besides the nethotels.com, here is their own site<BR>http://www.hotel3kronen.at/e-index.htm

K Sep 20th, 2002 07:13 AM

Cindy,<BR><BR>Pension Nossek does not have a website, as far as I can tell, but here is their email address:<BR>[email protected]<BR><BR>Also check out the "Rants and Raves" section of the Fodors.com site, where there are 3 favorable reviews of it.<BR><BR>We are staying there in Dec., after having researched many places. Have heard all good feedback about it.<BR><BR>Have a great time,<BR>K.

K Sep 20th, 2002 08:48 AM

Cindy,<BR><BR>FYI-For what it's worth, here's a negative review I saw on Rick Steves' travel board re: Pension Hargita.<BR><BR>Grade: C+ Vienna -- Pension Hargita, the worst place on our whole trip. The minute we arrived (at 10PM) we were hounded for payment. I've never experienced anything like it. I didn't have the cash so they asked me to go out, late at night to an ATM to get some. Don't stay here. The rooms are clean but very noisy; right on Mariahilferstrasse.

julie Sep 20th, 2002 09:24 AM

4 years ago my daughter was studying in Vienna and we asked her to arrange lodging for us when we came to visit. Her landlord recommended a place that is in no guide books, but sound just like what you are looking for. It was run by an order of nuns to support the order. The only downside was that no one spoke English, but we still managed just fine. It was clean, convenient, quiet and cheap (then around $40 a night). If you're interested, e-mail me directly and I'll find the info for you.

Christina Sep 20th, 2002 11:41 AM

I highly recommend the Pension Museum. It is just outside the ring near the museums (of course), you can walk to the museums and the area around City Hall -- it's near a tram stop and the Volksoper underground stop is just on the corner. This is very convenient as it goes right to the train station. It's within walking distance of the Spittelberg area, also, a nice area with shops and restaurants. You can walk to the very central area if you want, I suppose, I think I took the tram or underground. This is a 4* pension (which isn't as nice as a 4* hotel), the rooms are very large and nice (wood parquet floors, nice views of the Hofburg Palace and museums) with good large tile bathrooms. It's very quiet and has a very good included breakfast, and they speak English fluently. It is not luxurious, I will admit (mainly the furniture and bedspread, etc, are a little old-fashioned or cheap or garish in color), but nice enough for the price, which was about US$90 a couple years ago. The bed itself had a good mattress and duvet and was comfortable.<BR><BR>They don't have a good website, I can't find the one I originally saw them on, but this is their info<BR>http://vienna.nethotels.com/nethotels/english/hotels/museum/default.htm<BR>That doesn't have many photos, unfortunately. It's a pension, not a hotel, so you get a private key and it's on the 2nd-3rd floor of an older building. I liked that area as it seemed quieter than right in the central area.

liz Sep 20th, 2002 01:19 PM

Hotel Atlanta, on Kartnerstrasse is just outside the ring (three stops on the tram to the ring). Pleasant and clean, basic breakfast with a bar next door. Ask for the double room on the top floor with the big window – it’s amazing. The staff doesn’t speak a lot of English but is accomodating. Do a search on Google and it comes right up.

liz Sep 20th, 2002 01:20 PM

oops - I meant Hotel Atlanta on Wahringerstrasse, not Kartnerstrasse!

linda Sep 20th, 2002 01:27 PM

i love the hotel harmonie, a best western.<BR>have stayed there in past for a bargain special price of about $50 a night through www.bancotel.com<BR><BR>don´t know this year´s prices. very convenient. on "D" tram.. great neighborhood next to french school.<BR>

Krista Sep 20th, 2002 01:35 PM

Stayed in two Best Westerns in Vienna...one right in downtown and the other just slightly outside of it. The one outside of downtown was wonderful!!!! Very convient to everything but just out of the hussle of downtown. Had a two bedroom suite there for $110 a night so it wasn't that expensive.

TT Sep 20th, 2002 05:36 PM

Ditto on Pension Hargita! The guy who runs it is too wierd -- will speak to you only to demand money -- up front, as soon as you climb the 50+ stairs to his rooms. It was clean and our room was new, but very uncomfortable. And if you do stay there, skip buying the breakfast, which is only sliced dark bread and coffee. There's a McDonalds across the street where you'll get more and better for your money.

Liz Sep 21st, 2002 05:26 AM

We must have stayed at a different Pension Hargita!<BR><BR>The young woman and her Mother who where there when we stayed there in June were quite pleasant. Yes, they only accept cash, as the e-mail comfirmation we got noted. This is quite common in small pensions. We did not pay until the night before our very early check-out (for a 4-night stay).<BR><BR>Mariahilferstrasse is not a quiet side-street, but is hardly "very noisy." I thought it was a very good location.<BR><BR>For this price level, the rooms were very attractive, sort of rural folk Austrian, clean and comfortable.<BR><BR>Breakfast was the usual bread, rolls, cold-cuts, and coffee.<BR><BR>I would stay there again.