Preparing a temporary Will for trip

Old Jun 12th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preparing a temporary Will for trip

I am going on a 2 week trip soon with both my adult kids and their significant others - in other words all my chicks in one basket (no husband alive). I would like to handwrite a temporary Will and leave it with whatever documentation my brother might need to handle my affairs should anything happen to all of us (my kids are my heirs). Anyone have any suggestions for this process to make it complete/legal/usable?
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 01:52 PM
RJD

Why a temporary will? How would it differ from a more permanent version? Wills are not generally expensive. You need legal help.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

I have proper wills, POA and everything else but they are for my daughters (my husband is dead). But if the plane crashes and we all go, or if the girls are both incapacitated, it will fall to my brother to handle my affairs here in the US and I want to do this to make it easier for him.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 02:08 PM
J62

I still don't get how that's different than the terms of you permanent will. If both daughters perish then you will have no surviving children (unless there are others). If the girls are incapacitated then what you likely want to have is a trust, not a will.

But I'm just an average J, not a lawyer. Laws vary from state to state, so you need legal advice for your location.

Look into a trust though - they're designed to do just what you're asking, that is manage your funds for your heirs instead of handing them the whole estate.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 02:28 PM

Cbaird, what if you and your daughters are killed in an accident or incapaciated here while say in a vehicle accident in the US? I assume that is where you ALL live.

You need to have secondary and third people and maybe even a fourth person listed in your will or trust and all your other legal documents. Have new legal papers drawn up and have your brother listed next in line after your daughters. Best regards.