Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Budapest, Vienna, Prague for my next trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/budapest-vienna-prague-for-my-next-trip-668693/)

judybarnes Jan 9th, 2007 11:00 AM

Budapest, Vienna, Prague for my next trip?

We had a great time in Venice, Florence, and Rome in December. I could do that trip again!!!

But now I'm thinking I'd like to spend 9 nights doing a rail trip to Budapest, Vienna, & Prague. I love walking around old cities viewing beautiful architecture (Baroque!), markets, art, concerts--that kind of stuff. The photos in travel catalogs look fabulous.

Thoughts? Spain instead? More Italy instead? Other ideas?

risab Jan 9th, 2007 05:21 PM

Our family went to Prague and Vienna a few years ago (we've also been to the same locations you mentioned in Italy).
We loved Prague and Vienna. We especially found Prague enchanting and my daughter still raves that it is one of her favorite places. It is a very charming city, fabulous architecture, great culture, good food, and excellent history. Vienna is a really elegant city.

lucy_d Jan 9th, 2007 05:26 PM

Budapest, Vienna and Prague are a perfect combination. All are wonderful yet very different cities. They would also provide a nice contrast to the Italian cities you visited in December.

judybarnes Jan 10th, 2007 05:56 AM

Thank you for your encouragement!
It's possible to do the three cities as a river cruise (Grand Circle) but in early March. I'd rather go during spring break so I miss only a couple of days work (I'm a substitute teacher).

I'm thinking I should save river cruises for when I'm older (I'm 62 now and still energetic).

Adrian45 Jan 10th, 2007 06:59 AM

You will love this trip! All three cities are beasutiful. i would not take a cruise; last year, at end of March we were in Budapest and the Danube was so high, all the cruises were cancelled.

Jayneann Jan 14th, 2007 07:08 AM

Hi Judy,

I am wondering where you ended up staying in Rome! We're going to June and have booked the Cesari, but I'm not sure I'll be happy with the hotel after reading TA reviews. I know you went around and around with your thoughts too! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Glad you're getting to plan another trip so soon!! :)

Jayneann Jan 14th, 2007 07:10 AM

Oops, meant to say,"We're going in June"!

judybarnes Jan 16th, 2007 11:40 AM

Jayneann, I took the advice from some forumers and booked the Hotel Ponte Sisto through reservationitaly.com. The rate was terrific and we were thrilled with the hotel and its location close to Campo di Fiore. The hotel is beautiful and the breakfast is excellent, with scrambled eggs and meat in addition to the multitude of other stuff. Good coffee and capuccinos, too. Also there's a market a couple doors away where you can buy bottled water and anything else you need.

I realize the rates will be much higher in June. We paid an average of 130 Euros per room per night, three rooms for four people.

Jayneann Jan 17th, 2007 07:05 PM

Thanks for the info Judy!! Unfortunately
when I plugged in our dates, the cost is over 400 Euros!!! Oh well, glad you got to enjoy the hotel at a great rate!!!!

rosetravels Jan 17th, 2007 09:06 PM

Judy -
That's so funny - we were in Paris and Rome for Christmas and now I'm thinking Vienna and Budapest next. That's if we go away for Christmas next year - way too far away for me to plan that now! But I think it would be magical and I've never been to Budapest.

jorr Jan 17th, 2007 09:21 PM

Praque is the most beautiful city in Eastern Europe and virtualy untouched by war over the centuries. Increadible architecture.

bandiroot Jan 18th, 2007 05:02 AM

Agree with the other forumers. Prague for me is one of the most beautiful and enchanting places that I have ever visited. My friends and I were there last September 2006. Spent a total of 6 days there and for me it was not even enough to explore the city. We also went to Cesky Krumlov, a picturesque town in southern Bohemia. You may want to consider visiting this place as it is only a few hours away from Prague by public transportation. My husband and I visited Vienna and Salzburg some years back and we also thoroughly enjoyed both cities. Prague, for me though, is still the best so far.