Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budapest to Dubrovnik - how to travel between them

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the very early stages of planning my trip for next summer (08) and Budapest and Dubrovnik are two places I really want to go. It seems flying is the logical way, as trains don't go down to Dubrovnik but I'm having trouble determining if cheap flights exist between the two. Skyeurope seems to fly that route but only lists flights one month in advance. At least that's all I can find. Can that be right. I'm no where near ready to book anything, but before I get too involved in planning I want to know if it's even possible to combine those two locations. Anyone have any suggestions.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 02:37 PM

SkyEurope added a bunch of routes and subtracted a few in the last year. Most likely Budapest-Dubrovnik is only a summer route in any event, which explains why it is only available until late September.

I'd guess it is quite likely SkyEurope will keep this route and fly it again next summer, but they are quite dynamic, so it's hard to know for sure. Given the number of carriers that have sprung up and increased in size in the last year or two, it's quite likely at least one low-cost carrier will have the route.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Isabel, I am in a similar situation, only we want to travel from Krakow to Dubrovnik. SkyEurope is flying the Krakow and Budapest to Dubrovnik route from mid June until mid-September this year, so if you are going during that time frame you should be fine.

I e-mailed SkyEurope to see if they would have an extended period (we want to go Krakow-Dubrovnik in early June) next year They e-mailed me back saying to wait a month or two, and they would know better what time frame they would be flying that route.

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I hadn't thought of the fact that the route only ran in the summer. I hope that means that next spring I'd be able to book something for summer. It makes me uneasy to buy transatlantic tickets, which I usually do around March, into one city and out of the other without knowing that getting from the first to the next won't take days and lots of money. That's why I was checking now. Have either of you actually flown with Skyeurope? or know anyone who has?
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 08:46 AM

We flew from Budapest to Dubrovnik on SkyEurope a year ago. It was perfect. Nice airplane, short flight and low airfare. They have a large file on their website somewhere with all their flights listed. It is just a seasonal flight but we were aware of the months they flew long before we booked the flight. The sooner you book the lower the fare, but try and wait for a special promotion. We also flew them twice this year and were equally happy with the flights and service. They assigned our seats when they open the flight at the airport 2 hours prior to boarding.

I have a long trip report on this site about our trip to Budapest and Croatia last summer!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:04 AM

On another forum, a poster purchased a Bucharest-Budapest ticket on SkyEurope, and they did not inform him for many months that they had cancelled that route (although he discovered on his own). Then they still have not refunded the money (a small amount, but still) over eight months later.

That said, if worst comes to worst, and they don't fly this route, you can also fly Vienna to Dubrovnik on SkyEurope, and it's only three hours travel between Budapest and Vienna. Similarly, I think it's a six hour train ride between Budapest and Prague, and SkyEurope offers Prague-Dubrovnik also.

So as long as you are flexible enough to entertain a stopover in another city besides those two, you should be fine buying the transatlantic tickets.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:49 AM

SkyEurope is unfortunately dropping both its Budapest and Krakow bases:
http://www1.skyeurope.com/EN/Default...10&NewsID=1644

Regarding the SkyEurope flights from Vienna and Bratislava to Split, this year they are only running for about 1 month from mid August to mid September, have no idea if they will offer them again next year or not.

Besides Malev nonstop on the BUD-DBV route (currently 3x weekly), Wizzair flies from Budapest to Split, that's about it...

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Thanks so much for this information Andre. How disappointing.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. Although it would have been nice to be able to fly from Budapest to Dubrovnik, it doesn't look like too bad of a trip to take the train to Bratislava and Vienna. I could arrange to do that and have a few days in those cities and fly from one of them to Croatia.

Do you think the flight schedules for July for skyeurope will be available by March or April?
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM

I was following SkyEurope earlier this year for other flights, and I think they would have it ready by March or April - but there's always the possibility they will change their schedule. They seem to do it a bit more than other airlines.