Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Budapest to Croation Coast: fly or bus/train?

Budapest to Croation Coast: fly or bus/train?

Aug 28th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Budapest to Croation Coast: fly or bus/train?

hello there! in planning travel from budapest to the croatian coast, i'm wondering whether to save time by flying into split or dubrovnik or whether to take a bus or train to see a bit of the countryside. If I were to do the latter, does anyone have a recommendation for a stopover(s) in between? (i'm travelling thru eastern and central europe for about a month...but even w/that amount of time i'm having to make hard decisions about what NOT to see and where to save time and am wondering if budapest to dubrovnik might be the right time to hop a plane.)

Thanks!
Aug 29th, 2003, 03:55 AM

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Table 92 shows the Maestral Express, from Budapest Keleti at 1525, with views of Lake Balaton 1650 to 1810, standing in Zagreb station 2214 to 2245, arriving in Split at 0730. Until 13 September it has a through sleeper, with 1, 2 and 3 berths. After that you take a seats car to Zagreb, and change to a sleeper. The train has no catering, and food at Zagreb station so late at night is not good, so you need a packed supper. As against flying, you lose the afternoon in Budapest. But you might well choose to spend that morning in the most interesting town on Lake Balaton, Kesztheley. Then you would travel Budapest Keleti 1015, Kesztheley 1345 to 1715, Balaton St George 1726 to 1820, Split 0730.
Split is worth a morning, and an afternoon bus would run you to Dubrovnik in 4 ? hours.

[email protected]

Search this Thread