Search

Budapest short report on hotels, guide, and restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budapest short report on hotels, guide, and restaurants

We just got back from our trip to Budapest, Vienna and Prague and since
we received so much help, wanted to reciprocate.

Hotel - We stayed at Le Meridian on the Pest side and very satisfied with the location, room and staff. I can't say enough about the staff - one the best we have ever had.

Guide - We had a private guide for 3 days. We had her for a 4 hour drive/walk of Budapest, 4 hour walking tour which included the Jewish section and an 8 hour Danube Bend. Her name is Gabriela Torak and web page is www.privatetoursbudapest.com. She was great. It is obvious she loves her country and wants to share the history and beauty. I would highly recommend her.

Restaurants - The restaurants Gabriella recommended were excellent. Cafe Kor is one of the top but we were not able to get in so I would suggest getting reservations in advance. Instead, we ate across the street at DIO Restaurant & Bar which is very contemporary and the food excellent. Their web is www.diorestaurant.com. For typical Hungarian Food, we ate at Kispipa in the Jewish Section and had wonderful Stuffed Cabbage. The one not to be missed is Rezkakas. Wonderful food with a trio playing violin, piano during dinner. My husband had the best rack of lamb ever. Again, it would be good to make reservations in advance as this it is considered one of the best. Their web is www.rezkakasrestaurant.com. For lunches, Gabriella would take us to a grocery store, or "to go" outside vendor for sandwhiches,
strudel, where locals ate which we would eat on the run and they were very good.

Things We Saw - Too much to mention but a few are:
Castle Hill, Jewish section, Bend Tour, St. Stephens, Gysert Spa,dance performance at their newly built (air conditioned) performing arts center. A very moving memorial along the banks of the river on the Pest side where 200 Jews were shot and an artist made castings of all types of shoes, i.e. womens, childrens, mens, workers, etc., terror museum. We wished we would have partaken one of the baths and also we missed taking an evening river ride.

Budapest at night is beautiful. It is a very safe and clean city and fun just to wonder around. The people were extremely warm and friendly. We solutely loved it....
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the report and the memories.

We really enjoyed Budapest and all the food was incredible.

I can also recommend lunch at the big covered market, excellent food and beer.

Private guide is a good idea. We did that in Prague and regretted not doing it in Budapest. It's worth it.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 12:00 PM

I would second the Rezkakis, very good food and atmosphere.

The Central Market Hall had lots of different foods you could try for those that want to try different foods without having to order the whole menu in a restaurant, but better as a lunch.

As for the baths we went to the Gellert just for the experience and once was fine, though a pretty building...bring your own towel to be safe.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 05:41 PM

Judymol: SO glad that everything worked out with the guide. I have checked to see if you were back! Can't wait to hear about your trip.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 08:18 PM

Judymol, Would you mind sharing the approximate cost of dinner for 2 at Rezkakas? Their website is under construction. Looking forward to the rest of your report!
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 09:01 PM

We also went to Rezkakas and enjoyed there. If I am correct, I think that we payed 40 $ pp.
We also liked Kiraly restaurant in the Castle district, nice music, nice decoration and great food, and Mátyás pince near Vaci utca.

For a cofee we were at Gerbeaud Coffeehouse; it is very famous and elegant, but we did not find the cakes so good.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 07:42 PM

Judymol, thank you for your report.
Please tell which tour with Gabriela you liked the most. Did you have enough time to enjoy the stops on the driving tour? With only 2.5 days in Budapest should I try to visit Danube Bend or it’s better to spend all time in Budapest.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 05:10 AM

judymoi,
There are 4 of us - 1 XL, 2 Normal, 1 smallish. Can we fit in Gabriela's vehicle?

Great report - looking forward to hearing about your Prague visit as well.