Budapest/Prague Hop On/Off Buses

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting both Budapest and Prague. Do these cities offer hop on/off busses?

Thanks.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:36 AM

In Prague, I don't think there is such. I have been there 6 times between November 2006 & December 2007 but never seen one.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:57 AM

I haven't seen them either. Buda is easy to walk around and there's a finicular down to the river then a walk across the chain bridge to Pest. Pest is harder to cover on foot although the main pedestrian street which begins (or ends) at the covered city market and goes to near the Chain Bridge is an easy walk and its not too far from there to the opera, along a pretty boulevard. Pest's museum is further out that street.

Prague,from a tourist standpoint, is also split in two and both areas are easy to walk around. It's not too hard to walk from one to the other, particularly if you start on the hill. Trams and subway are very cheap in Prague. There is an overview bus tour you can take from the main square in the old town. It doesn't stop if you wanted to get off you are really packed in--as the bus fills, seats fold down and take up the aisle space! Unless it's better regulated now, taxis can really rip you off--agree on a price before you enter the cab and have some idea of the distance you are asking to be taken. I only took them a few times and had the hotel arrange them.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM

Correction--should read Pest's Museum Square...
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the responses. Thank you.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:30 PM

Off topic but please make sure you go to the "Terror House" in Budapest. It was the most amazing experience
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:30 PM

Yes, there is hop on and off in Budapest.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 11:37 AM

Another option is to buy a day (or many day) transit pass. It's good on buses, subway and trams. Both Budapest and Prague have this option.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM

We were just in Budapest and we used the hop on/off bus the first day. A great way to get an overview of the city and figure out where everything is. We then took the city buses and interestingly enough we bought a ticket in the morning and rode the rest of the day, and NO ONE ever asked us for a ticket, nor did we ever see anyone else buy a ticket except when we did. We thought that's just the way it worked until we returned to our hotel and asked the front desk clerk. She said, no, you're suppose to purchase a ticket for each ride. So now we know! BTW, in Budapest we stayed at the K&K Opera Hotel and it was fabulous. Great location, nice rooms, fantastic breakfast. The best I have ever had in Europe! The staff was great and free internet. The price was very good also.