Budapest Parliament Tour

Old Oct 18th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budapest Parliament Tour

Hello,

I am planning a late November visit to Budapest. High on my list of "must sees" is Parliament. It is my understanding that you cannot book tickets in advance. I'd love to hear the experience others had buying tickets - how early did you get in line and were you successful in getting tickets for the early (10:00 a.m.) tour? Another option I am toying with is booking a tour through a company to ensure that I have a ticket. Has anyone gone that route? All thoughts and advice are very much welcomed.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 09:57 AM

We were in Budapest one early October and also were intent on a tour of Parliament. Arriving at Gate X about twenty minutes early, we found a sign explaining that because of government business, no tours were to be held that day.

I do remember that no other tourists appeared as we lurked by the gate.
Wishing you better luck!
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 05:25 PM

Akrobat, indeed, the Parliament Building in Budapest is a "must see." Completed in 1896, it is not an "old" building but an enormous, magificent fin de ciecle stucture that evokes imperial grandeur before it all imploded in WWI.

I saw it as part of an optional tour on a junket to Central Europe ten years ago. It remains one of my most cherished memories of European travel. The exterior of the Parliament Building can best be seen on a cruise on the Danube at night with a glass of wine in the company of good friends.

http://www.budapest-parliament.com/

Enjoy Budapest!
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 08:19 PM

we went 30 minutes before.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 07:19 AM

At the end of August we also came 30-35 min before 10 AM tour. It took us about an hour to get tickets - and we went with noon tour instead. The line is for tours in all languages and really slow.
You can also visit public library located at Parliament building.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the advice. I think we'll head out early in hopes of getting the 10 a.m. tour and if not I feel good we can get tickets for a later tour.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Update: After my last post, I decided to contact Parliament to see if I could reserve tickets. I sent an email to [email protected] and today received a response stating that I had two spots reserved for the day/time I requested and that I should show up 15 minutes before tour to pick up my tickets, confirmation letter (which was sent in the email response) in hand.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 10:39 AM
GBC

You were fortunate to be able to reserve a spot. Waiting in the line is NOT a sure thing. We wasted over an hour.

We finally got in by purchasing a combination ticket that included an exhibit across the street.

The tour really is worthwhile so try to include it if you can.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:40 AM

I wil be in BUDAPEST this December.

Thanks "AKROBAT" For including that e-mail address to get tickets prior to arriving in Budapest for the PARLAMENT TOUR.

Trend Girl

Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:44 AM

By all means, if anyone is interested in doing the tour, send the following info to the e-mail below: number in party, all the names, requested date, tour time, and language. I found out about this last year before I went and I was SO GLAD!

I got the letter (as attachment) to an e-mail reply...and copied it. AND THIS SAVED US from waiting in line and wondering if we could get in, etc. etc. We just went to the front of the line, showed the guard the paper, and he let us in to buy the ticket. NO waiting, wondering, hassles.

Many people in line thought we were VIPs or something, as they scowled about "how did they get in???"
So, be prepared for some nasty looks!!

Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:15 AM

I seem to remeber waiting 20 minutes or so in line. For any EU citizens, don't forget your passport, as that gets you in free.