Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budapest- Looking for Accomodations on Pest side with a view of Castle and Bridge

Budapest- Looking for Accomodations on Pest side with a view of Castle and Bridge

Jul 31st, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

I will be in Budapest early next June. I'm looking for accomodations with river view. I would really like a balcony. Are there any nice, affordable (preferrable around $100-$150 max a night) on the Pest side with view of castle and bridge? The only thing I find is Marriott and only the upper levels have view. (upper level price too)
Found River Apartments near Szabadsag hid (Freedom Bridge). Is this too far, unsafe or bad location? Anyone familiar with them. They are through ohb.hu Online Hotels Budapest. Would really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

Jul 31st, 2006, 12:33 PM

I just this morning made a reservation for the Marriott for April 2007, requesting an upper room. It is more than my budget - 150 euros a night, plus 27 euros tax each night (I wasn't expecting that!) but as it is for a special birthday trip, and I have got free flights using airmiles I could go along with that...

However, as one can cancel without charge up to 6pm on the day of arrival, I thought why not reserve now, and I shall continue to search for alternative hotels, better rate, etc. Priceline might be worth looking into, but I get a bit nervous in case I get a disaster!

BTW, a lot of hotels are not taking reservations on hotels even for April yet, particularly going through agencies - I booked direct with the Marriott.

I have read very good things here about the Victoria, but that is on the Buda side although all rooms have Danube views. I have read that the view from Pest is nicer than the view from Buda...

Good luck in your search and let me know here if you find anything else!
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Tried to reserve a room at Marriott was told they have a first floor with partial view. Hotel Victoria said the rooms with the balcony are on availability bases and they will not reserve. If I am going to pay more I really want to know that I have a view, preferably with balcony or terrace. If not I will just get a place with good location in Pest. Thanks for your help. Good Luck to you too.
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:32 PM

McCadden-I've said this on many threads-even with a partial view, there is everything about the Marriott to like, and nothing not to like-in June they have their lovely biergarten that they set up in the summer months right on the Duna promenade, and your balcony will have the view you're looking for-you'll be able to see Gellert Hill-you just won't have a complete view-but a partial is better than no view-and its proximity to the shopping street vaci utca, and to the sights, the quality of its staff, its authentic Hungarian atmosphere and its copious buffets and pastry bar-you'll really be missing out on a fine hotel experience if you take a pass on this one.
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:42 PM

We stayed at the Victoria and it is one of our favorite hotels. Almost the entire wall facing the Danube in our room was windows, nearly ceiling to floor, so even though we had no balcony (which we also like to have) the view was spectacular! We had room 42--you must be high enough to see over the trees that line the street in front of the hotel.

I can't imagine the view from the Pest side could be any more beautiful. We had full view of the Parliament buildings on the left and the Chain Bridge on the right. Both were incredible at night all lit up.

The hotel is walking distance to a metro station, has a decent included breakfast and we found the staff most pleasant and helpful. There is a terrific French restaurant behind the hotel, and several other retaurants just steps away. I honestly don't think you could go wrong staying there even in a room like we had without a balcony.
Jul 31st, 2006, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know about the area around
Szabadsag hid? Is this a good area? There is an apartment there on the river but don't know if that is a good location. Thanks for everyone's help.
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

My mistake it was Art Hotel that said they only had first floor with partial view. Marriott looks like my only choice. It is just really stretching the budget. Thanks for ya'lls help.
Aug 1st, 2006, 10:43 AM

And I looked at Art Otel's website and their room prices started at over 200 euros!

Have you heard about the segway tours of Budapest? I am just looking at those now...

http://www.citysegwaytours.com/budapest/
Aug 1st, 2006, 10:56 AM

We stayed at the Marriott Millenium Executive Apartments. Can't say enough good things.

We kind of had a view (requested in advance) but think about it.

Where we stayed is about a block from the Marriott Hotel. We were less than a block from the river and 5-10 minutes (maximum) walk to the Chain Bridge.

You can't look at the view while sleeping.

The walk to the River was about 1 minute. I have photos on my web site taken there at night.

www.travelwalks.com

Aug 1st, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Julia the segway tour looks like a great idea. I haden't seen that.
I really feel stupid now about the hotel. I have sent out emails requesting info and it was budapestplace
that had the flat for $100. I didn't bother with Art Hotel because it was too expensive. I get so confused after a while I can't remember which was which. Thanks for your help.
Aug 1st, 2006, 11:47 AM

Actually the Marriott rate is looking better - I just looked at the Sofitel Atrium (formerly Hyatt Regency) and the rooms start at 275 euro Plus 23 Euro Breakfast - the Marriott rate includes breakfast. I'm guessing that all other hotels will be charging local taxes too, which bumps up the price by 20-30 euros. I looked at the Intercontinental and it's 167 euros for a superior room with river view.

I looked at the Budapest Hilton (I know it's on the other side of the river) on this website...

http://www.danubiushotels.com/en/bud...ilton-budapest

and if you book in advance and pay in full on reservation, you can get an executive room with breakfast for 140 euros a night, and a guestroom at 'flexible rate' (whatever that is?)is quoted at 130 euros, plus 23 euros tax per night, which seems an even better deal. They also have various offers, depending on what you want, including from 100 euros a night exclusive of all taxes and b/fast. It does have nice views but the reverse of what you are looking for, like me.

Gresham Palace - best location of all - is 310 euros plus.

Freedom Bridge comes up in my guidebook as Liberty Bridge, so would you still get a view of the castle and Chain Bridge from there? it seems a bit far down the river...

Aug 1st, 2006, 02:07 PM

We stayed at the Victoria Hotel on the Buda side, but had a fantastic view of the Parliment building and the Chain Bridge. They also had fireworks 2 nights on the Pest side so we enjoyed those. If we had been on the Pest side facing the river we could not have seen them from our room.

We did have one of the two rooms with a balcony. I requsted it months earlier, and it was given to us, even though they told us it wasn't a guarantee.

A full hot breakfast is included in the 118€ rate, tax included. It also had great airconditioning and is only a 5 minute walk to the Chain Bridge. Every room has a full length window and great view of the Danube.

Good luck with your choice.
Sep 6th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Hi. I own a vacation apartment, which is located by the Marriott Hotel in Budapest and which will be available in June. View of the river Danube from the balcony.
To view photos, location and a description of the apartment, please refer to http://www.perfectplaces.com/pp_find...?ref_num=16174

If you need any further details, please do not hesitate to ask.
Martin
Sep 16th, 2006, 03:53 AM

Searching apartments in Budapest, I have come up with the following (aside from the studio being promoted by Martin in the previous post - advertising is not allowed her BTW, Martin).

These 2 have views of Buda...

http://www.vrbo.com/15412

http://www.best-of-budapest.com/modu...rticle&sid=210

And this one is at the foot of the Chain Bridge, but on the Buda side - looks really nice though.

http://www.best-of-budapest.com/modu...rticle&sid=210

Sep 16th, 2006, 04:16 AM

Sorry, posted the link twice by mistake. Here is the correct one for the Buda apartment at Adam Clark Ter at the end of the Chain Bridge...

http://www.best-of-budapest.com/modu...rticle&sid=281