Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Budapest Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/budapest-hotel-473213/)

roman Sep 9th, 2004 12:52 PM

Budapest Hotel

Any recommendations on good hotels in Budapest that are close to the sightseeing areas? Also any info on the Hilton? Is it a good hotel with good location? (Similar to my Prague post.

atlcity Sep 9th, 2004 01:22 PM

The hilton on castle hill has a great location.If your budget allows the Four seasons is the place to be.

Patti Sep 10th, 2004 04:26 AM

HI Roman,

I just stayed at art'otel, in Buda across the river from Parliament. It was a short walk to the funicular to Castle Hill, and to Betthyany Square, where the red metro line and several bus and tram lines originated/stopped. Check out TripAdvisor for reviews.

Patti

roman Sep 10th, 2004 08:28 AM

Thanx to both of you for your replies!!

atlcity Sep 10th, 2004 08:32 AM

If you choose the Hilton make sure you book the Castle Hill not the other Hilton on the other side of town.

Rupe Sep 10th, 2004 09:59 AM

We stayed at the Kempsinki and walked everywhere. The rooms are very well-appointed and the restaurant serves a good breakfast (included in our rate). BTW, unless you need it specifically, it's best to lock your passport in the hotel safe.

atlcity Sep 10th, 2004 10:08 AM

The Kempinski is nice but there are no views like the 4 seasons or the Hilton Castle Hill.

Byrd Sep 10th, 2004 10:15 AM

We loved the Gellert. Rooms overlooked the Danube, and the spas are great!

Byrd

dddick Sep 12th, 2004 01:02 PM

We were very happy with the Marriott. A block or so from Vaci Street (the major pedestrian shopping area) and about a 5 - 10 minute walk from the Metro. Every room overlooks the Danube & ours had a great view of the Buda Castle. Ours also had a balcony, though I don;t know if they all do.

Dale & Kathy
Baton Rouge

suze Sep 12th, 2004 02:28 PM

On behalf of my parents who are doing a tour in Budapest next month, what is customary regarding a tip for your room maid at the hotel?

bams1954 Sep 12th, 2004 02:30 PM

Le Meridien right next door to the Kempinski w/much more charm/elegance...or the Four Seasons of course.

Cat123 Sep 12th, 2004 02:43 PM

Stayed at the Hotel Victoria a year and a half ago and found it terrific. Fabulous views of the Danube (it was right on it), and easy walking to both Castle Hill and the other shopping/sightseeing districts. The rooms were also very nice, although not luxurious. The price was fabulous for what we got - significantly cheaper than the Hilton and some of the other big names. I think you need to book ahead since it is not that big.

bams1954 Sep 12th, 2004 02:52 PM

Victoria great value but on a very busy street along the river and wrong side IMHO....unless you're going to stay up on castle hill area - quieter - I thought the Hilton was okay - in a 70ish way - I'd stay there too.

gualalalisa Sep 12th, 2004 06:41 PM

Roman: Loved the Castle Hill Hilton - the location and view cannot be beat.

Stayed on the Club Floor where we got free food and drinks, including alcohol, all day long (not that we were drinking all day!). The view of the Danube and the Parliament buildings and the bridges all lit up at night was just fabulous. The neighborhood was great. The staff was wonderful.

It was also by far the best bargain of any hotel in which we stayed last fall. Included in our room price was a great city tour and a wine tasting night in the hotel's historic cellar. We had a huge bathroom with marble tub and separate shower as well as a wet bar and Internet access on the TV.

We stayed at the Four Seasons in Prague which was very nice and visited both the Four Seasons and Intercontinental while in Budapest. Both were fine looking hotels (the Four Seasons hadn't yet opened so we just walked around the outside) but neither had the view or location of the Castle Hill Hilton.

parisandelle Sep 13th, 2004 07:27 AM

We stayed at the Four Seasons in August in Budapest and it was amazing. We also visited the Hilton on Castle Hill because we heard so many good things about it. We preferred the location of the Four Seasons and noticed that taxi pre-set prices for taxis were higher to the Buda side. If the prices are comparable, I would highly recommend the Four Seasons. We paid a premium rate because we were there during the Hungarian Grand Prix, but were told by the management that lots of packages would be on offer in the fall.

roman Sep 15th, 2004 02:05 PM

Thanx again to all of you for your replies!!

bckay1 Sep 19th, 2004 05:22 PM

We were in Budapest in May. Used Priceline and got the 4 star Art Otel in Buda for $80 a night including a wonderful buffet full breakfast. Our room overlooked the Danube with views of Parliment and the Chain Bridge.