Budapest: Dinner Cruise at night

Old May 10th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Budapest: Dinner Cruise at night

Quite interested in seeing Budapest with lights at night by boat. There are many options. Difficult to know what is quite worthwhile. Dinner&Cruise after folklore concerts ( which do you suggest for forklore concerts: hungarian state folk ensemble, danube folk ensemble, rajko folk ensemble) that includes a buffet dinner versus Danube Legend Evening Sightseeing Cruise or Candlelit Dinner Cruise on the River Danube. Also there is an opretta dinner cruise ( I am not too much into operas). Suggestions please. Thank you. Jack Glasser
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM
yk

Just my 1 cent here:

Legenda evening cruise (1-hr) is quite expensive - at 4900HUF - which includes drinks. We were able to find some cheaper options when we got to Budapest. We ended up using EUrama for their 1-hour cruise and it was 3000HUF without drinks.

I recommend taking a cruise during sunset, instead of evening when it's completely dark. You can take a look at my trip report which I posted photos as well. My Danube evening cruise section should be up either later today or tomorrow:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...pring-2009.cfm
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:17 AM
yk

BTW, if you click on this link to see my profile, you can see a photo of Chain Bridge (with Buda Hill in the back) which I took during our sunset Danube cruise.
http://www.fodors.com/community/profile/yk/
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:20 AM

I definitely recommend doing an evening or night cruise, but I wouldn't combine it with dinner. I like to concentrate on what I'm looking at, or what I'm eating, but not both at once.
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

thank you. please provide more details regarding Eurama. jack
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:46 AM
yk

http://www.eurama.hu/index.php?modul...e&id=93&lang=1

There are plenty of cruise boat companies. If I were you, I'd just go to the riverside (the stretch between Chain Bridge and Elizabeth Bridge) - either earlier in the day or even the day before - to check out various companies and sail times. Make sure you know what time sunset is. We picked EUrama because we initially were going to take Legenda but their sunset cruise was sold out and EUrama was right next door. However, as I said, there are plenty more other companies so shop around.
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM

I did a dinner cruise, with a buffet dinner and wine, and enjoyed it very much. The sunset idea is a good one, if you can find one. I wouldn't try and combine it with entertainment though because you will probably be too busy looking at the structures you are passing and taking photos to pay attention to the entertainers. If you do a dinner cruise, the boat will probably go up and then down (or vice versa) the Danube at least once each direction. The boats travel very slowly, so that should give you enough time to eat and then take all the photos you want. On the cruise I took, the boat had an inside dining area on the main level with tables along the windows. After dinner I went upstairs to the open-air area where I could move about more freely and take unobstructed photos.