Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Budapest Apartments - your thoughts appreciated on locations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/budapest-apartments-your-thoughts-appreciated-on-locations-647781/)

julia_t Sep 20th, 2006 08:24 AM

Budapest Apartments - your thoughts appreciated on locations

I am looking at apartments in Budapest for next Easter. I have narrowed my search down to two, but am not sure about the locations, and any advice would be welcome.

The first is on Rakoczi Ter, a leafy square which is just off the ring road Jozsef Korut. Although there is a Metro station within 5 minutes and trams run along the ring road, I'd like to know just how central this is. The apartment is also listed on www.homelidays.com and has some wonderful reviews. I have been quoted 90 euros a night for this apartment.

http://www.perfectplaces.com/vacation-rentals/9495.htm

The second is right on Vaci Utca, which I read is the main tourist pedestrian street and possibly quite lively (noisy?). But it is very convenient to walk to almost everywhere. This is 65 euros per night.

http://www.vrbo.com/93204

Just to confuse matters further, I also have a backup reservation at the Hotel Victoria on the Buda side of the river, but I cannot be guaranteed a high room, and the nightly rates is 126 euros. I have read some good reviews of this hotel, but have also read that the hotel is slightly inconvenient for getting to and from Pest. I have also been told that Pest is the place to stay with regard to restaurants, jazz clubs etc.

Any advice or comments will be gratefully received! Thanks in advance...

julia_t Sep 21st, 2006 08:48 AM

Anyone?

gregeva1 Sep 21st, 2006 01:33 PM

I stayed near Rakoczi when i was in Budapest in May 2006 and it was fine. The area is urban lower middle class. It was a little unsettling but nothing to be frightened about. I enjoyed it and could get everywhere on the metro quickly. I stayed at a VRBO one (67871) if you want to look at it. The other location is at the southern end of Vaci near the market and the national museum. It's an OK location not truly central and would take a little more traveling to get to places. But everything is Budapest is pretty close. I think your 1st choice would be more central and there are tons of restaurants in the area....hope that this has been helpful.

annhig Sep 21st, 2006 01:59 PM

We stayed in a little hotel near the opera last christmas. i think the location was perfect - walking distance to Vaci Utca, parliament [perhaps not the best sight to be visiting just now], and even Buda, via the funicular, very close to the opera of course, and right by a metro for getting about. Stying in buda would be fun but a little out of the way, and the VAci utca was too touristy IMO. You can tell how close to the centre a place is by the area number - Budapest 1 is the most central, followed by 2 etc.
If there are just two of you, a hotel may be better than an apartment, I think.

lincasanova Sep 21st, 2006 02:42 PM

we got a fantastic rate at the marriot executive apts. wonderful location.

free breakfast.

we would go back there if the rate was good.

julia_t Sep 22nd, 2006 11:19 AM

Thank you for your replies and advice.

gregeva... I was pleased to hear what you said about the location of Rakoczi Ter. That is my preferred apartment and it doesn't seem too far out. I thought the Vaci Utca location would be a bit commercial and touristy.

annhig... This apartment is about 10 minutes walk from Vaci Utca and also the Opera House. It is in the VIII district but only just across the road from the V. Perhaps a bit too far to walk to Buda, but the trams outside go to both the south and north of Buda, so it is still easily accessible. There are just 2 of us - my virtually 18yo daughter and myself. We are (trying to be) on a budget so I can spend more on her birthday gifts! What hotel did you stay at near the Opera?

lincasanova... I shall looked at the marriott apartments again - maybe I missed something!

patfromLA Sep 22nd, 2006 08:16 PM

Julia
My husband and I just spent a week in the River Apartment on the Belgrade rd in Pest district V that overlooks the Danube, the liberty Bridge and to the Liberty Monument. It is probably in about the same location as the Vaci Uta apartment you describe, but just on the river rather than the Vaci. We found it very handy for trips to the market for provisions, and it was an easy walk to the trams or metro. The transport system is good, but BEWARE - the transport inspectors love to fine unsuspecting tourists for not having the correct ticket. We got caught twice - first for assuming that the ticket allows a transfer (as in the Tube, where you can change lines ) - it doesn't, and second for unintentionally bypassing the ticket validation machine (unlike the Tube, you don't put your ticket into the machine to enter the station). The best way to avoid these problems (and 25 Euro fines) is to buy a pass for the number of days you will be there. Apartment living was a nice change for us and shopping for and eating local produce added to the fun of getting to know a city.
Enjoy.

pkinias Oct 8th, 2006 07:04 PM

Sorry I can't comment about your proposed itineraries (sound wonderful) but I can give you one tip -- avoid the Homelidays people like the plague! My wife and I rented an apartment for two weeks in Tropea, Italy through Homelidays. The apartment we selected had received 100% glowing reviews from previous renters. When we arrived, we discovered the description the owner had given to the website contained major misrepresentations as to location, size and features. The apartment was totally unacceptable for our purposes; we forfeited our deposit and found other accommodations. On our return, I wrote a negative review for the property. Homelidays, however, refused to post the review, saying the owner disagreed with it and Homelidays had no way of telling who was right. Duh, no wonder there were only positive reviews! Nothing on Homelidays’ website said negative reviews were not published. They are obviously just interested in getting your money and not giving honest feedback.

TAD1 Oct 9th, 2006 01:10 AM

Another that you may like to consider is Golden Star apartment http://www.budapest.hoteltargets.com...mmodation.html
We stayed there in July and were more than pleased with it. Also on Vaci Utca, there were some 'city' noises during the night, but not too bad (and I'm a light sleeper). The apartment is very nicely furnished with many little touches that made a difference - including a washing machine that was essential at that point in our trip. The owner Tomas was most helpful, even provided a mobile phone for making local calls. We felt it was a bargain at 55 euros per night.

julia_t Oct 9th, 2006 04:44 AM

This Golden Stars apartment is the second one I listed in my OP - it is 65 euros a night for next April.

I've actually now paid a deposit on the Rakoczi Ter apartment, but thank you for your advice.

zeroman Oct 22nd, 2006 02:06 AM

Of our 18 day trip through Eastern Europe, Golden Stars http://www.budapest.hoteltargets.com...mmodation.html was one of the best places we stayed at.
Not only was it in a very convenient location (steps from Vaci Utca pedestrian shopping/eating area and
also a 5 minute walk to the Grand Market Hall) it was clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. The apartment had high ceilings which made the place
feel huge, french doors opening to a balcony facing the street and a vintage elevator. It also had a
modern kitchen and bathroom with a washer. Most importantly, the bed was very comfortable and the building was quiet.

I looked at lots of hotels beforehand, and for the cost, this apartment far exceeds them in value and quality. It is definitly worth a return trip!