Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budapest airport to Marriott Hotel transportation

Dec 20th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

Could you pleawse tell us how to get to the Marriott Hotel from the Budapest airport?

Public transportation, hotel bus or any other methods are fine. We tend to use public transportation.

Thanks
Dec 20th, 2008, 07:03 AM

I'm certain that your first thought was to contact the hotel for their ideas. What did they say?

Curious
Dec 20th, 2008, 07:07 AM

Like curious mentioned, good hotels know all the ins & outs of transportation to/from airports. They know what time of day the taxis have surcharges, which method is most reliable at 6am, etc.

Stu Dudley
Dec 20th, 2008, 07:10 AM

I used the Airport Shuttle to get to my Budapest hotel - you may have to wait a little for one to be available, but it will drop you at your hotel. www.bud.hu/english/transport/airport_shuttle
Dec 20th, 2008, 08:52 AM

http://www.bud.hu/english/transport
Dec 20th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Hello epaulino,
I like public transportation too and it
is incredibly inexpensive and convenient in Budapest.

We took the 200 airport bus to the start of the metro blue line where we bought our 3-day travelcards and were good to go.

Get the tickets from the newsagent in the airport and the bus (spacious transfer bus with plenty of room for luggage) leaves from right outside the airport doors.

You'll have a wonderful time in Budapest and the Marriott is great.

Dec 20th, 2008, 09:07 AM

A particularly inexpensive option that's included on Padraig's link to the Budapest airport site is "By metro and bus". The bus (the 200 bus) takes you to the closest metro station, Kobanya-Kispest, the last station on the blue metro line. Take the metro all the way into town, and then it's just a matter of deciding whether you'd rather walk from Ferenciek tere or Deak Ferenc ter (both are on the blue line, so no change necessary, and they look to be about the same distance from the Marriott---google maps is extremely helpful for this figuring out this sort of thing).

I took this trip in reverse and it took me about 45 minutes for the entire trip (from about the same origin as your destination). The cost is included in an "unlimited travelcard" but I could not find these for sale at the airport, so you'd likely have to buy the first ticket and then could buy a travelcard later if you'd like (and if you're planning on using public transport they're very convenient and affordable).

Note that the 200 bus is equipped specifically to deal with passengers with luggage, so is more comfortable than a conventional city bus would be.

I also used (on arrival) a Zona taxi. The car was new and very clean, and the driver was pleasant and professional.
Dec 20th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Looks like 29FEB and I were posting together, but since the information's identical you can have even more confidence in it.
Dec 20th, 2008, 10:58 AM

We have used Zona cabs and the Airport shuttle bus. Both reasonable and reliable. The shuttle will drop you at the hotel and is less expensive than the Zona Taxi. If you want to use a taxi make sure it is Zona as that is the only one approved by the airport.
Dec 20th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all Fodorites who contributed and helped me.

Curious, I wrote to the Hotel before I posted my message. I hope this satisfies your curiosity.

Dec 21st, 2008, 07:12 AM

If you wrote to the hotel and received an answer, why did you post the question here?

Still Curious
Dec 21st, 2008, 07:25 AM

Curious - if you're curious, why would you be satisfied with only one answer when you could have more? I would expect the Marriott said to take a taxi, which is why I wouldn't have bothered to ask them in the first place.
Dec 21st, 2008, 07:47 AM

thursdaysd wrote: " I would expect the Marriott said to take a taxi, which is why I wouldn't have bothered to ask them in the first place."

Given that taxis from Ferihegy are regulated and reasonably cheap, it's arguably the best option.
Dec 21st, 2008, 10:39 AM

"Given that taxis from Ferihegy are regulated and reasonably cheap, it's arguably the best option."

One person's of "best" and another's aren't necessarily the same. One of the criteria I use when choosing among transportation options is environmental impact: a taxi consumes fuel, creates pollution, and clogs a city's already often crowded roads. If public transit offers a convenient alternative I often take it. It might seem silly, particularly in light of my frequent air travel, but I still do it, and if all of the arriving passengers on epaulino's flight who might otherwise have taken taxis take the bus/metro instead we could save perhaps 50 taxi trips between the airport and the city center. The bus and metro also contribute to fuel consumption and pollution, of course, but it's much less per person (and the more people who use it the better the efficiency, up to a point).

I'll also point out that I sat in traffic in Budapest on my inbound taxi trip for quite a long time, and since that portion of the trip would have been covered by the metro I'd have zoomed quickly under it.

Hotels, particularly large hotels catering to a well-heeled public, often don't offer the public transportation option, and will even advise against it in my experience.
Dec 21st, 2008, 11:05 AM

Curious,

So have you taken it upon yourself to moderate this board? Are you now the message board police?

Now I am curious also.

Dec 21st, 2008, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Dear Fodors Friends:

Thanks again for all your help. You went at length to share your knowledege and travel experience to Budapest with us.

Curious,
One last answer to you...
I am not satisfying your curiosity.

I got enough help from nice and helpful Fodorites friends, no question asked.

Happy Holidays to you!
Dec 21st, 2008, 12:12 PM

Therese, please note that I do not lay down the law, nor do I pretend to except when it is obvious that I cannot possibly be doing so. Using a taxi is still arguably the best option, but I am not interested in arguing.