Bruges restaurants

Search

Bruges restaurants

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bruges restaurants

I've been going to Europe for about 25 years and when I was younger I relished fancy meals, long tasting menus, staying at a chateau that had a cooking school, etc. Now I prefer bistro-style food. Here are four places that fit that bill in Bruges. They won't please everyone, but I had good food at each one:

Sint-Barbe, 't Schrijverke, Vissinghe (500 years old), Old Bruges at the Vismarkt. One note about the latter: it's something of a tourist trap in the sense that they charge for bread. However, I didn't order any, and after a few meals there (and speaking Flemish), they offered me bread for free. The staff was very friendly. I went because it was close to my B&B and went back because the food was good.

Expense? My most expensive dinner was about 40 Euros, but that was aperitif, pichet of wine, main course with frites and salad, dessert and coffee. Lunch was typically 20 euros or less.

I stopped at other places for a drink or coffee, and also tried Chez Vincent, but it was on my first day, I think, and I don't remember much. Except the stairs were really steep. But the view of the square it's on was lovely. Worth a visit.

Sint-Barbe was my favorite and I'd go straight there my first night back.
Old May 17th, 2013, 05:06 AM

Whenever I'm in Bruges (and I'm from a nearby town), I go to 't Ander Idee (translation= The Other Idea). They serve pasta dishes (ranging 15 - 25 euro), I especially recommended the baked tagliatelli which contains lots of vegetables and a light currydressing. You can sit outside if the weather is nice.It's best to make a reservation, there aren't that many tables.

Don't skip dessert but go to Da Vinci for icecream. Don't shy away because there's always a queue. They work fast and are always friendly. Best icecream in Belgium. She's from Croatia, she knows how it's done!

If you're looking for the real Belgian fries: go for de Bosrand (not in the city centre but not that far from the train station either). They are open 7/7 until 11 p.m.

' Ander Idee
Hauwerstraat 9
8000 Bruges

Gelateria Da Vinci
Geldmuntstraat 34
8000 Bruges

Bosrand
Koning Albert I-laan 108
8200 Bruges (Sint-Michiels)
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

I love pasta, but I ate only Dutch or Belgian food while in Flanders.
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:37 AM

We eat a lot of pasta in Belgium so I consider pasta a Belgian dish
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:41 AM

Thomas; that's because misslorre is a local, and not a tourist. Belgian food is very good, but we like a change from garnaalkroketten and friet sometimes.

I see that Refter (the bistro restaurant belonging to the Michelin-starred Karmeliet), do a 35 euro three course dinner, which looks very good. 2 courses for 25. Very Belgian. I have not been yet, but if it is run by the Karmeliet, it will probably be excellent.

If you are in Brugge at the moment, it is the season for white asparagus - a la flamande with chopped boiled eggs and butter.
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:54 AM

This is perfect for our short visit in June. Thank you!