Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Buca di Bacco in Positano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/buca-di-bacco-in-positano-649347/)

wordsmith Sep 27th, 2006 07:02 AM

Buca di Bacco in Positano

Anyone stayed here??

owlwoman Sep 27th, 2006 08:29 AM

We stayed there on our first trip to Italy in 1998, have sent two other couples there as recently as a year ago, no complaints, we loved this hotel. It hardly gets mentioned, yet I think it's one of the nicest "more reasonable" hotels in Positano. The rooms are large, the balconies look right over the beach and you're not to far down or up in the town. I would stay there again in a heartbeat if we ever get back to Positano (one of the most romantic places in the world, imo)

JerseySue Sep 27th, 2006 08:32 AM

I was just going to ask the same question about a hotel in Positano - we were just in Capri and did a day trip there and instantly fell in love with the place - we saw that hotel and it did look wonderful !

saps Sep 27th, 2006 08:41 AM

No comments about the quality of the hotel but just a clarification to owls comment that it is "not to far down or up in town"...

I just returned from Positano and the the hotel cannot get any closer to sea level. It is directly on the beach at the absolute base of town. So I'm not sure what the "not to far down" comment refers to.

Enjoy Positano you'll love it.

knoxvillecouple Sep 27th, 2006 08:46 AM

And to add to saps comment - if you have to walk up the hill to catch a bus, limo, etc., it IS a "few" extra stairs. But the hotel does look pretty (we enjoyed lunch there one day), but we were happier, I think, just a bit higher up the hill - we stayed at La Tartana. That way your view of the bay is a little more interesting I think.

KC

owlwoman Sep 27th, 2006 08:54 AM

Maybe it's my 11 year old memory, but I thought it was "in the middle", not right on the beach. I remember sitting on our balcony watching all the boats being put in the water (it was the day before a big three day weekend in April), and we were about level with the duomo. Yes, it was closer to the beach, a staircase down to the waterfront restaurants, but I don't remember it being a tough walk up to the shopping streets either.

Yet, a funny story, when we arrived by car and drove around the town twice until I asked a garda where this hotel was and he just said "park here", after parking, a strapping young eye candy man took our huge bags, threw them over his shoulder and proceed to walk down, down, down the walking street. We did not have a reservation and at that time, after a white knuckle drive, all he wanted to hear after asking if they had a room was "it is not a problem". We also wondered how we would get our bags back to the car (they have a service, it was tips at that time, but my friends tell me they charge per bag now).

Anyway, the breakfast on the balcony with "blood" orange juice, was not to be missed. We really enjoyed our stay there.

owlwoman Sep 27th, 2006 08:55 AM

I should read these....it was my husband who wanted to hear "it is possible" for the room.

ira Sep 27th, 2006 12:22 PM

Hi W,

We didn't stay there, but we did have linch on the terrace overlooking the beach.

Based on the level of service and the facilities we did see, I would recommend it.

((I))

wordsmith Sep 28th, 2006 04:33 AM

Question: when you say this hotel is at sea level, do we have views of the sea from our room or are we too far down the hill?

knoxvillecouple Sep 28th, 2006 05:43 AM

Wordsmith - Since we didn't stay there I'm not sure what you'd see from a room there. The ground floor (with restaurant and reception) is at ground level (or 1/2 floor up), so you see the beach, the harbor, and a limited view of the "sea." I don't recall how many floors the Buca di Bacco has (maybe 2 in addition to ground floor?), so you'll have a sea view, but obviously not as much as you'd have in a hotel a bit higher up the hill in Positano. That said, the posh Le Sireneuse is higher up the hill, as are many/most of the other hotels in Positano.

KC

tower Sep 28th, 2006 06:57 AM

Wordsmith:

May I toss in my response? We stayed at Buca di Bacco last year. Magnificent for our taste. We had a beautiful room and our own terrace overlooking the beach with gorgeousd sea views and no obstruction at 180 E's. There is a service that includes an electric-motor cart that picks you up with your bags at a taxi gathering point half way up the hill...and they also arrange to take you back to the taxi stands when you leave. Fee is reasonable.
Tyhe hotel shows class all the wayt..and as some poster mention, the restaurant and the breakfast terrace are excellent. Their buffets are overladen. We have since recommned it to friends who also were very satisfied. Should we return to Positano, the Buca is our choice.

Stu T.

emmalee_71 Sep 28th, 2006 08:36 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Buca di Bacco and it was lovely and views are great.
We did a full day of the Coast and our driver took us to Ravello and Amalfi. Having a driver was the best way to see the Coast for us. We used a great company called benvenutolimos.com