Search

Heathrow V Paddinton - Confused

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heathrow V Paddinton - Confused

Dear all
I have searched on the above and have now gotten myself confused by all the info! I'd love some specific advice on hotel, bearing in mind my proposed schedule. Could you please assist?

I arrive very early into Heathrow on a Friday morning and fly out from Heathrow T4 on Saturday morning.

I've booked a ticket to see Buckingham Palace state rooms in the afternoon at 4pm and am planning to do the hop on hop off bus before that and maybe a quick trip to Westminster Abbey or Tower of London. I have overly ambitious ideas of a London walk that evening, but I doubt the caffeine will hold up long enough.

I need a hotel that will let me drop off luggage about 7am Fri and I need to be back at the airport next morning by 8.30am. I'm going to be very jet lagged after 30 hours travel so my schedule is ambitious - it's my first and possibly only trip to London!

I'm a jet lag novice, a first timer in Europe and travelling solo. Your advice is keenly awaited.

Bel
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:59 AM

The Heathrow express takes about 20 mniutes from the airport to Paddington station and visa versa.
You will need a hotel near Paddington Station.
My husband stayed in a hotel last week which was 30 metres from Paddington station. The Royal Norfolk...it was very cheap 45 pounds a night for a single...good breakfast..the furniture was old but clean and tidy. Trip adviser gives it a bad review but he'd stay there again as it's cheap and handy.
Most hotels will let you leave luggage early but you can't use your room until later. You'll need to check with the hotel.
Spend this time, by visitng The Tower of London first..can take up to 3 hours..return to your hotel room..have a shower then tube to Victoria for Buckingham palace etc.

Check in is usually 3 hours prior to flight take off....so you need to be at Heathrow by 0530 hours.
You may be able to check your luggage in at Paddington depending on the carrier.
Have a great trip...where are you off to after London?
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:33 AM

Hi,
An idea would be..once settled into hotel, take tube to Covent Garden. Wander around there...walk to Trafalgar Square, visit St Martin in the Fields (lunch in crypt or a local Pub)...walk down to Parliament Square( 10 Downing St, Cabinet War Rooms on your right),then see Big Ben...walk over to Westminster Abbey, tour that...walk from there up The Mall to St James' Park..wander,rest...walk to Buckingham Palace and take your tour. This would fill your day! I don't think you would have enough time to do the Tower and a Bus Tour and Buckingham Palace. Alternatively, double-decker tour from Marble Arch, then wander thru neighbourhood over to Buckingham Palace

Mike
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:31 AM

Where are you flying to from Heathrow? If it's a UK or other European destination, you only need to be there an hour ahead. And you may be able to check your bags at Paddington. I did that on Wednesday for a flight from LHR to Amsterdam, and it was great not having to cart my bags around, or wait in the massive BMI line at LHR.
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:10 AM

I agree with what the other posters have said. Showers are available at Heathrow. After 30 hours of travel and with a full day of sightseeing ahead of you, to fight jet lag I suggest you take that shower, drop your bags at your hotel, stay active throughout the day (walk as much as possible), and go to bed early in the evening (London time). The first Heathrow Express train leaves Paddington at 05:10 (and every 15 minutes after that) so you'll be able to get to the airport in plenty of time to check in.
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:51 AM

I'd just get a room at a Heathrow hotel just to be on the safe side, preferably the Hilton. Just bear in mind that on rare occasions, the HEX service does get cancelled due to circumstances beyond Railtrack's control (track maintenance issues). Just saying that HEX service is very reliable but not guaranteed so if you need to be at LHR at 530 am, I'd suggest staying at the airport.
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:58 AM

I second (third, forth?) the staying at Paddington. Drop your luggage as soon as you get there then head off on a Hop on Hop Off tour. You've gotten advice to walk a lot... I find that after my flight from SFO, I get out there walking and it knocks me out pretty quickly. I get more tired than I realize and have been known to fall down a flight of stairs. The top of the double decker bus gives you the fresh air you need but requires less walking to see ALL of London.

Enjoy!
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

This is fabulous advice. Thankyou all so much for advice on how to fill the day as well. My flight is to Zurich at 11.30am, so I was planning to get there 3 hours earlier - sounds like I may not need all that time. Then I go hiking in the Alps and Dolomites for 3 glorious weeks with a bit of culture on the way to Rome (in Venice when the regatta's on - freakishly good timing!). Am getting really excited now.

Again, thanks, I really appreciate your efforts.