Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Brussels to Koln to Rhine to Frankfurt in One Day (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/brussels-to-koln-to-rhine-to-frankfurt-in-one-day-119389/)

sarah Apr 20th, 2001 10:40 AM

Brussels to Koln to Rhine to Frankfurt in One Day

My friend and I will be going to Europe for 2 weeks next spring (my 3rd trip, her second). We'll have limited time in each place, and we're hoping to cover a lot of ground. So we're planning on leaving Brussels early in the morning, visiting Koln's catherdral, taking a 2-hour boat ride down the Rhine and then catch a train to Frankfurt to catch our night train to Prague that night. Doest this seem impossible to hope to do in one day? Not do you think it's too much, but can we do it? (I already know it's too fast:-) We just need to get to Prague quickly, thereby spending only one day in Germany (which we've both been to before). Thanks.

Russ Apr 20th, 2001 10:57 AM

It's no sweat. Brussels to Koblenz is 4 hours or less. Stop in Cologne for an hour. I suggest you train down to St. Goar and take an afternoon boat from there, thus seeing just the most scenic part of the river. You should do more than just take a boat ride, though. Visit a castle if you can (Rheinfels ruins in St. Goar is easy) or do a hike to the Cliffs edge above St. Goar's train station. You'll have too much time if you don't.

Tony Apr 20th, 2001 02:45 PM

Russ's suggestions are spot on, except that you may have some problems with your luggage whilst you are sightseeing in St.Goar, as I don't think there are any lockers at St.Goar station - although somebody may be able to correct me here. <BR>My itinerary would be train to Cologne, place luggage in lockers at station, whilst visiting cathedral, which is next door to station. Then train to Boppard (change at Koblenz) then taxi to river - or 6 minute walk if not too much luggage, to catch a cruise to Bacharach, for train to Frankfurt. This will let you see the best of the river. On the boat you can usually store your luggage in a cloakroom quite safely, and also enjoy a meal or snack. <BR>For a website on KD Rhine Line, visit www.rivercruises.com If you email them they will give cruise times from Boppard, or anywhere else for that matter. Your Eurail pass, if you have one, covers the cruise free. <BR>Trains from Cologne to Koblenz. Boppard, Bacharach, Frankfurt are at least hourly, often more frequent.

Russ Apr 20th, 2001 02:57 PM

That's right about the lockers, Tony. If you'll be doing any hiking in St. Goar, the tourist office, if open, will allow you to stow your bags there. There is a hotel on the south side of the Marktplatz (Hotel Hauser, I think) that serves as a second tourist office when the main office is closed and may let you do the same. If you're just walking around town, it's farly small, and if you've packed lightly ala Rick Steves, you'll be fine. You might enjoy taking the ferry across the river her to visit St. Goarshausen, too. It gives you a nice view of St. Goar, and there's a wine tasting room on the south end in the old city tower (Historischer Stadtturm) that makes for a quick and enjoyable visit.

Russ Apr 20th, 2001 04:08 PM

Sarah: I think this might be a better idea, even if it sounds a little crazy... <BR> <BR>The boat ride can take almost twice as long from north to south as the other way because of the current. It might be best to train to Bingen right after Cologne, drop luggage there in lockers, and head north on the boat to St. Goar from there (about 1.5 hours instead of nearly 3 in the other direction) I checked the www.bahn.de site for schedules: <BR> <BR>Lv Brussels 8:17, Cologne 10:57 (Thalys) <BR>Lv Cologne 12:00, Bingen 13:50 <BR>boat from Bingen at 14:15, St. Goar 15:45 (it's about a 15-min walk to the boats from the station, so don't dawdle.) <BR> <BR>Stop in Bingen (you'll probably have to anyway) to get luggage on way back to Frankfurt. <BR> <BR>You'll actually make 2 train rides plus the boat ride through the Rhine Gorge this way, free if you're on a railpass of course, which you'll probably want to do - it's interesting to see the hillsides in a different light of day. <BR> <BR>

Joe Apr 20th, 2001 04:23 PM

Sarah, <BR> <BR>If you train to Bingen, be sure to get off the train at Bingen Stadt which is the stop just after Bingen Bahnhof. <BR> <BR>Joe

Tony Apr 20th, 2001 05:43 PM

You will not really be on the river long enough to worry about the direction of the current, although Russ has a valid point for longer trips. Boppard to Bacharach is 2hrs 35 mins. Bacharach to Boppard is 1hr.40 mins.

mac Apr 20th, 2001 05:46 PM

Sarah, beware: the T.I. in St. Goar is closed from noon till 2 p.m. on weekdays and is closed on Sunday and Saturday afternoons. If you pack light, you can just keep your luggage with you. <BR> <BR>

sarah Apr 21st, 2001 04:09 PM

Thanks very much for all of the helpful suggestions. I hadn't thought of stopping in St. Goar which sounds great. We will be traveling very light (ala Rick Steves:-), so our luggage won't be too much of a bother. Thanks again. Any other remarks welcome.