Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Brussels to Brugge (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/brussels-to-brugge-59738/)

Mike Jan 11th, 2000 03:15 PM

Brussels to Brugge

I plan on backpacking Europe (unfortunetly just for 2 weeks) in May. On part of the trip I would love to see Brussels but I've been hearing a lot about Brugge. I have an oppurtunity to goto Brussels and/or Brugge January 27th-30th. I might go ahead with it just so I can elimanate this part on my 2 weeks in Europe in May to be able to spend more time in another city or add an additional city to my itinerary. I'm looking for any information anyone has on staying in Brussels and going up to Brugge and also if anyone has any suggestions on some good hostels in the area that are clean, nice safe, etc.... Any help and information would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me directly or reply to me here. I'm constantly reading what people have to say here! Thanks in advance for the help. --- Mike

Patrick Jan 11th, 2000 03:53 PM

I am not a hostel "stayer", so can't help you there, but if you are budget oriented, I suggest if you have only three days in Brugge or Brussels, I would make my base in Brugge --it is much less expensive. I think a day trip to Brussels would take care of that city, but Brugge is far more interesting and quaint at night --unless you are really looking for big city nightlife. I've often said my favorite day ever in Europe was the day we bicycled along the canal north from Brugge to the Dutch border --but not sure you would want to do that in January.

Kathy Jan 11th, 2000 04:49 PM

Brugge is definitly worth it we stayed at a nice hotel for about 60.00 USD De Pauw . Food was great everywhere and the beer was wonderful, 3-4total between brugge and brussels is enough check out the Moderne Art Museum in Brussels, it was wonderful. I am sure you could find a cheaper hotel less tht 60.00 a nite if you dont mind sharing the Bath. betsciean <BR>

Renee Jan 11th, 2000 08:09 PM

Brugge, Brugge, Brugge! My family and I have been to Belgium four times in the last four years (business and pleasure) and we always spend a weekend in Brugge. It is so much more enjoyable than Brussels. Have you checked Rick Steves for lodging info? <BR>Enjoy!

M & J Jan 12th, 2000 01:47 PM

Hi Mike. We don't backpack, so cannot assist you there, but we can direct you to fantastic chocolate in Bruges. It is the Maitre Chocolatier Verbeke, located just a block from the Market Square at Geldmuntstraat 25. I think they are closed Mondays. <BR>We were in the top of the Belfry when some of the 47 bells started to play---what a thrill to not only hear the bells, but feel the vibrations through our feet. I won't "spoil" how the bells are rung---but you don't want to miss it.

markizzy Jan 12th, 2000 07:09 PM

Another nod for Brugges. GREAT food in Brussels but VERY expensive. I remember seeing a hostel right in the middle of Brugges but can't remember the name. CHeck out "Let's Go Europe". Also, the beer in Brugges (and most of Belgium) is as good as it gets.

Mike Jan 16th, 2000 12:50 PM

In another message on this forum I read some not so good things about the hostel in the middle of Brugge but then in a website I found this hostel to be voted on of the top 5. Has anyone else had an upleasant experience with this hostel?--Mike