Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Brussels-must see/do (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/brussels-must-see-do-357508/)

FlowerS Sep 12th, 2003 04:39 AM

Brussels-must see/do

I'll be traveling to Brussels for business conference next week and I'll have 2 free mornings and one free day. What is a "must see and do" in Brussels? I'm also interested in going out on Friday evening, are there nice single places around Grand Place? Also, are there any sales in fashion stores at the moment? Thank you for your advice!

Ann1 Sep 12th, 2003 05:23 AM

We totally enjoyed the Musical Instrument Museum. They have a cafe upstairs that overlooks the city. The royal palace has some tours. There are "bars" around the Grand Place and many singles in them and they didn't seem dumpy. I'm not too sure about that question. Don't miss the waffles (much different than the US) with chocolate....unbelievable. If you have a full day, it would be worth a trip to Bruges. It's an hour by train and you can make a day trip of it. It's a walking city.

Joe_in_Silver_Spring Sep 12th, 2003 05:52 AM

My top picks for Brussels are: mussels, french fries with mayonaise (even better fries than in France), Trappist beers (Chimay and others), and the Royal Museum of Art's Ancient Art Museum--great collection of paintings through the 18th century. As a first time visitor, chances are that you'll be guided to the restaurants on the "Rue de Bouchers." It took me three visits (slow learner)to confirm that there are many better places to eat--I'd walk the street to say you've seen it but eat elsewhere. And I heartily endorse Ann's recommendation to visit Bruges. It's a great day trip from Brussels.

Tulips Sep 12th, 2003 06:38 AM

There are no sales on at the moment; sales periods are strictly regulated in Belgium. I can't really recommend anything for evening (since I am usually only there during the day) but try to find a branch of Le Pain Quotidien. They are great for lunch or breakfast, and great if you are on your own; there is a large table, and you just join other people there. They serve bread, pastries, croissants. I know there is one on the Sablon (good for antiques), as well as on the Avenue Louise (where the posh shops are). I always have breakfast or lunch there when I'm in Brussels (I live in Antwerp).

Kascha912 Sep 12th, 2003 07:06 AM

My suggestion for the evening would be any of the bars/cafes at Place St. Gerry. It's in the center of the St. Catherine-area.

Must sees to me means Grand Place, Galeries St-Hubert, Mannekin Pis and the museum about Art Nouveau (Horta Museum).

Some people like to see the huge Atomium and Mini Europa.

Take a look at the destinations section for Brussels here at fodors and possibly also at frommers.

jellybelly Sep 12th, 2003 07:55 AM

i suggest that you try waterzooi at a restaurant in Grand Place. it's a traditional belgian fish stew made of carrots, leeks, celery , green anis, and cumin, white wine, potatoes, north sea shrimp and a little bit of cream. YUM!

FlowerS Sep 13th, 2003 03:57 AM

Thank you all for your helpful advice!
I hope weather will be nice next week. :-)

KathyNZ Sep 13th, 2003 07:00 PM

The chocolate museum in Grand Place was interesting, small so can be done in an hour or so.
I found a great cafe but the service was slow, however it was worth the wait. It's called Mannekin and is in Beurre St, onion soup was delicious and the biggest banana split I've ever seen.
Also the various waffle houses just off Grand Place are definitely worth a visit even late at night as I did after going to a concert, it was very late!!