Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Brussels Hotels near Centraal Midi (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/brussels-hotels-near-centraal-midi-267198/)

dina Oct 20th, 2002 07:00 AM

Brussels Hotels near Centraal Midi

My last post was wrong. I am taking Thalys from amsterdam to brussels and then onto London, I am a single woman. I wanted a hotel near the station but I heard it is not a safe area. what would be a convient hotel for 2 nights?

BTilke Oct 20th, 2002 10:05 AM

Dina,<BR><BR>There is no "Centraal Midi" station. There is the Gare Centrale (central station) and Gare du Midi (the station for the Eurostar, Thalys, etc.). Your best bet is to take a cab (or subway) up to the Ave. Louise area or the Gare Centrale/Grand'Place area. What is your budget? <BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Andre Oct 20th, 2002 10:53 AM

Dina,<BR><BR>You want to stay near Centraal station, NOT Midi (iffy area), so the hotels I mentioned in your other thread are still your best bets.<BR><BR>The Brussels Midi station where you will arrive & leave is linked to the Brussels Centraal station by very frequent trains (& the journey takes all of 3 min.). Schedules at:<BR>www.b-rail.be<BR><BR>Or you can take a cab if you have a lot of luggage.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Martine Oct 20th, 2002 11:43 AM

Yes Dina Centaal and Midi are 2 different stations. The Thalys stops in Brussels Midi. There you can take a connection to Brussels Centraal (2minutes).<BR>But what I said in my previous reply is true: the area around (outside) the station is not the best place to be.

dina Oct 20th, 2002 11:57 AM

Thank you for your help. About 20 years ago, I spent a month in Brussels and stayed at the Sheraton. I have obviously not done my homework this time and I leave for Amsterdam this week. Since I will be by myself I was hoping to spend under 100 a night. I also hate moving around a lot. On one of my days I will probably take a train to Brugges. Hopefully that will explain what I am planning on doing or in this case what I have really not planned at all. Thanks so much for your help.

martine Oct 21st, 2002 09:14 AM

Have a good trip Dina!

Dina Oct 21st, 2002 02:40 PM

I just found out about All Saints Day. That is one of the days I was supposed to be in Belgium. Is it worth it if that is one of your 2 days? Will stores be open in Brugges?

Alice Oct 22nd, 2002 06:14 AM

We stayed at Atlas Hotel on rue du Vieux March&eacute; aux Grains, one block from the Bourse (115-123Euro/double). The taxi fare from there to Gare Midi was about 6 Euro. Don't feel limited to staying by Gare Midi for your ongoing travel.<BR>I will post a trip report later on (brought home a horrible cold), but Atlas was a nice hotel, sort of business-class, big room, beautiful bath!, easy walk to Grand Place and Gare Central. Would have no problems recommending it.<BR>p.s. quite a lot of road work going on, making the area around Bourse kind of messy, but Grand Place and good mussels will make up for it.

Martine Oct 22nd, 2002 09:49 AM

Unfortunately most of the stores will be closed. Restaurants are open.<BR>The museums in Brugge are open the 11/11, but in Brussels they are closed.<BR>I think in the Netherlands it must be the same.

Dina Oct 22nd, 2002 10:01 AM

I called the Belgium Consulate in NY 212 758 8130. Theywere a little vague but said in Brugges some of the tourist stores would be open the others would be closed. Public museums are closed, private are open. I am still deciding what to do.

trying Oct 22nd, 2002 10:14 AM

I've posted before, but we enjoyed the budget Hotel Opera near the Grand Place. Good location, tiny rooms, ok breakfast, good price.

Martine Oct 22nd, 2002 12:29 PM

Dina,I did some research for you.<BR>If you want info about museums etc.<BR>try www.VisitFlanders.com <BR>It would be a pity to spoil a whole day in a town where everything is closed.<BR>