Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Brussels: Euopean Council's <Entropa> Mosaic Art Installation Raises Hackles... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/brussels-euopean-councils-entropa-mosaic-art-installation-raises-hackles-761586/)

PalenQ Jan 15th, 2009 07:47 AM

Brussels: Euopean Council's <Entropa> Mosaic Art Installation Raises Hackles...

of just about every European country that this 172-square foot, 8-ton work depicts.
The &quot;Entropa&quot; mosaic, which will be unveiled today in front of the European Council's offices in Brussels, is already causing controversy however in the way it depicts various EU countries and also because of the hoax its creator perpetrated on the EU.
Originally commissioned by the Czech Republic to mark its six-month Presidency of the EU &quot;was meant to symbolize the glory of a united Europe by reflecting something special about each EU country&quot; (NYTimes wording).
The Czechs selected David Cerny, a Czech artist famous for painting a tank on a Soviet War Memorial pink in 1991 in Prague to coordinate the project which promised to involve the work of 27 artists, one from each EU country.
But here's the hoax - Cerny himself and two friends did the whole thing themselves and simply made up names of artists from other countries.

But what many observers, including this one, will find hilarious nationals of member states may feel slandered.

Here's how various EU states are depicted:

Italy - a big soccer field with tiny soccer guys on it

Britain - i love this one - a map of Europe with Britain blacked out on it.

Holland - cdovered by floods

Luxembourg - tiny lump of gold

Lithuania soldiers peeing on Russia

France - i love this too - On Strike

Germany - a series of autobahns that rather resemble a swastika.

But Bulgaria is the maddest it seems and even called in the Czech Ambassador to lodge a formal complaint about its depiction - a bunch of crude hole-in-the-floor 'Turkish toilets'.

So if going to Brussels within the next six months you may find Entropa outside the European Council offices - or you may not.

PS - Gotta love tax monies flowing from places like the Cotswolds down to Brussels to pay for such interesting novel art. Bet the English tabloids are as usual on their anti-Brussels Crats rant.

PalenQ Jan 15th, 2009 07:52 AM

If you were the artists how would you have depicted various countries?

Belgium - a peeing boy drinking beer

Switzerland - a bank with mobsters going in

Austria - a piece of cake

Spain - (was depicted in original as one big construction site) - a bull being tortured

Britain - a stiff upper lip and no teeth

Ireland - what else whiskey

???

hetismij Jan 15th, 2009 07:55 AM

You missed out the minarets in Holland.
I can see why some countries are offended by it, especially the Bulgarians.
I hate to think how he would depict the US - you may not find that one so funny.
The Czech government paid for it, in part, the artist paid for most of it I believe.

flanneruk Jan 15th, 2009 07:59 AM

Britain's the one place no-one's moaning.

The installation is just about the only place in Brussels which sympathetically depicts our attitude to the EU (we're not blacked out: we're simply not in it).

It seems to the the subsidy-junky nations who are getting hot under the collar. Not being given the dignity they deserve seems to be the attitude of most of them.

Which we're in favour of too.

PalenQ Jan 15th, 2009 08:01 AM

Yes Holland is underwater with minarets only sticking out of the flood.

PalenQ Jan 15th, 2009 08:02 AM

BBC NEWS In pictures:
Entropa installation
Jan 14, 2009 ... Components of the controversial Entropa installation, which sparked controversy when it went on display at the European Council building in ...
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7827747.stm