Sightseeing tours from London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't be driving in the UK (I don't even drive in the US )

Anyway, I would LOVE to see some of the English countryside. A day tour from London is starting to sound very appealing...but which one?! I found one I really liked, but they will be spending much of the day in Bath (I will be visiting Bath on my own!) another will visit Brighton (UGH! I've already planned on spending my jet-lag days in Brighton!) ... I am also trying to find one that doesn't visit a lot of palaces or (IMO) silly things like the grave of Winston Churchhill or the birthplace of Shakespeare. (I already did that in 1997 as a school field trip and I wasn't impressed)

This one sounds nice: (41 GBP)

The Enchanting Cotswolds
Cotswolds - First to the village of Burford deep in the Cotswolds. We have time to see its quaint old church or wander through the picturesque village. On leaving Burford we drive through some of the Cotswolds' most attractive villages before arriving at Bourton-on-the-Water.

There is time to explore Bourton-on-the-Water, which has a stream running alongside the main street. Our scenic drive takes us on to Broadway.

Upon leaving Broadway we will continue our drive through some stunning countryside and stop for afternoon tea in a village location.

Are there any better? (Hopefully not too expensive)

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:06 PM

I did some research into this particular tour, because I love the Cotswodls and have travelled through the area by car several times. I will be in London in August with my sister and will not be able to rent a car on this trip. I sent the tour company several emails to get details because I wanted to get the best day tour for the best price.
The longest this tour stops is approx. 1.5 hours, in Bourton-on-the-Water (a terribly busy, twee and touristy spot IMO), at lunch. The other stops are quite short, about 20 minutes. Too bad because Broadway is one of my favourite spots. The Cotswolds can get overrun with tour buses in the summer and Bourton's about the worst place for it. I just didn't think this tour was quite what I wanted.

So I think we will end up doing the Cotswolds through a London Walks Explorer Day. It's a bit cheaper and there seems to be more time for wandering and seeing more in the villages - and it goes to Upper and Lower Slaughter amongst other places. You take a train to Kinghorn then transfer to a bus in the area, returning to London by train at the end of the day. The people at London Walks tell me they go to lots of little nooks and crannies, get out and walk in the villages, etc, and it's a nice day out, the best alternative if a private hire car isn't an option.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Do you have the website for that tour? That sounds good to me too!

THANK you for letting me know what you found out!!
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:15 PM

Yup... you just have to click on the Explorer Days link on www.london.walks.com

It only goes on Sundays, though, so hopefully that suits your schedule. I wish it weren't on a weekend for the crowds, but oh well.

You don't have to reserve in advance, either, just show up at the train station on the day, just like the walks. Everyone who turns up gets to go. You pay your tariff plus a nominal fee for the guide.

There are also a few other day trips that look good if the Cotswolds one doesn't work for you. We're considering the Garden of England one as well - Kent has gorgeous countryside. Or if that doesn't appeal there's Oxford and Cotswolds (morning in Cotswolds, afternoon in Oxford), or Rye or Canterbury,
and Chatsworth and the Peake District in September (quite a ways to go for a day but the Peak District is lovely). I'm not sure what dates you'll be there.
Also, I know you mentioned a handicap on a previous thread. I don't know what that means in terms of your mobility but I don't think these tours would present too much of a problem. You could always send them an email if that was a concern. They got back to me right away and were great about answering tons of questions. The distance they walk in the London ones is about a mile, and that's over 2 hours or so. (I was worried because despite being an avid hiker and runner, something happens to my stupid feet on holiday, and within 2 days I end up with giant blisters under the calluses all over the bottoms of my feet that then shred off leaving a horrible bleeding mess. It's really wretched. Anyway, too much information!).
I have never, in all my trips to London, done a walking tour, and this time I hope to do several.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

LOL! I won't be there until next May ... so I have plenty of time. (I just like to start planning early. It is also a very good diversion on days that I just don't feel well and don't know what else to do with myself.)

No problem about being disabled - I have fibromyalgia, but I'm not in a wheelchair or anything - so if I'm feeling really ill that day, I just won't go. It is nice that you don't have to pay in advance!!

I can't thank you enough for this information! (That is why I am addicted to this board.)

So sorry about your feet. I can recommend some AWESOME walking shoes and sandals if you want. It took me years to fing good shoes (I have BIG-WIDE PROBLEM FEET!) but I finally found them. (Let me know if you are interested)

Thanks again
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:19 PM

Oh, you've got tons of time - and you've even got me beat for planning in advance. I've only been working on my upcoming trip for 5 months .
I will be able to tell you a bit more about the Cotswolds tour, then, because I go much sooner than you do. I hope to do a trip report after I get home in mid-September (I go on to Greece from London). If it doesn't live up to expectations, at least you'll get plenty of advance warning.

Thanks for the offer re: shoes, but I've spent a small fortune on shoes, orthotics, treatment, etc all to not much avail. I feel I've just about exhausted all remedies. We'll see how things go this time (I have tiny, very narrow feet).
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 08:23 PM

FromAtlanta,

Here is another vote for Original London Walks. I have done over 4 dozen walks with them and they are very good. Their Explorer Day Trips are worth every pence. The guides are very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about their walks. I have done repeat walk with the same guide and they definitely do not go through the motions. In London, they will take into areas that you didn't even know about.

I think you will be pleased with them. Enjoy your trip!