Notices

Brussels, Bruges and Ghent

Jun 7th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Brussels, Bruges and Ghent

Our trip to the Loire Valley Chateaux is coming undone due to family scheduling conflicts. I was able to get tickets into Brussels for later in August but we can only stay 6 nights. Rather than trying to squeeze in the Loire Valley in that short a period of time I was contemplating spending the time in Belgium unless there is a better place to go from Brussels.

I know Paris is close but we did that a couple of years ago

Was thinking of two nights in each location or should we pick one central spot and take the train or drive to the other cities.

Is it worth adding Delft for a day as well.
Jun 7th, 2012, 03:19 PM

Distances are so short, I would stay in one location, probably Brugge, and do day trips, by car or train. For day trips, there is the shore - -Knokke/Heist; Antwerpen, Tournai, etc.

Brugge is smaller than Gent, a bit more easy to get around.

Another option would be Monschau, within easy driving distance to Aachen, Trier and the Mosel.
Jun 8th, 2012, 02:27 PM

Your idea of staying in Belgium makes sense to me. I would probably not change lodging between Gent and Brussels but would base in one of them. Many people really enjoy Brugge more with at least one overnight stay.

My trip report from last fall describes quite a few things to do in Brussels and some possible day trips to other cities.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...etherlands.cfm

Search this Thread