Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Brussels, Amsterdam, Copenhagen Trip: How many days in each city?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellow Fodorites:

I just booked a flight to Brussels, Belgium leaving on a Saturday in May and returning nine days later on a Monday from COPENHAGEN, DENMARK.

I was thinking we'd take a train from Brussels to Amsterdam and then eventually pick up a flight from Amsterdam to Copengan somtime midweek.

How would you spend your week getting from BRUSSELS to COPENHAGEN? How many days should I spend in each city? Are there cities in between the three I should consider visiting?

Would you rent a car?

www.sterling.dk Sterling Airlines seemed to have bargain flights between Amsterdam and Copenhagen. It seems like it would be difficult to take a train to COPENHAGEN.

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:51 AM

If you only have 9 days, spend a couple in Brussels (not my favorite European city), maybe a day trip to Brugge. Train on to Amsterdam, spend 3 days, fly to Copenhagen, spend the rest of the time. No, I wouldn't rent a car, unless you resolve to stay away from the main cities and visit the gorgeous countryside. I drove from Brussels to Amsterdam in about 4 hours where I stayed about five miles from city centre. Parking at the hotel was free and I just taxi into Amsterdam. One of my most memorable memories of visiting the Netherlands was a day trip to Kinderdijk, a town with the most beautifully preserved windmills lining up wonderful canals. This is the type of flexibility that having a car allows. However there are excursions to Kinderdijk from Amsterdam, if interested.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 11:00 AM

It's hard to say, without knowing your interests... Do you really want to go to Amsterdam or was that just a preliminary plan?
For example, after you arrive at Zaventem (Brussels airport), you could take a train to Bruges (a little over an hour, with a change in Brussels), spend two nights there, come back, spend a night in Brussels, take the Thalys next morning to Koln, visit the cathedral, and then take an ICE to Hamburg for a couple of nights. From Hamburg, catch the train/ferry combo to Copenhagen, perhaps stopping in Luebeck.

Unless you want to explore the countryside, there's no real reason to rent a car...your three major stopping points...Brussels/Amersterdam/Copenhagenare all well served by mass transit.

Or, spend two nights in Brussels, fit in a day trip to Bruges, take the train up to Amsterdam for a few nights, day trip to Delft, Amersfoort, Utrecht, Haarlem or any number of places in the region that catch your fancy, then fly to Copenhagen.

Or you could make Delft your NL base and day trip to Amsterdam (so you'd be staying in one smaller town for a bit instead of three capital cities).

Anyway, I would do 2 to 3 nights Belgium, 3 nights Netherlands OR Germany, and remainder in Copenhagen.

But what do you want to do on this trip? What are your priorities? Museums, history, food, shopping? Do you want to spend all your time in big cities or are you interested in a mix?
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

I'd say my priorities are food, architecture, and museums. I'd like a mix of big cities with maybe one or two day trips out to the country.

A bike ride for one day may be nice.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 01:01 AM
hsv

So you currently have basically three days per city, which per se isn't too much - esp. since you have to factor in travel time.

I am not that much of an expert with Brussels and Amsterdam, but I would think that you could easily fit a nice time in Copenhagen into two days (one and a half long days might even be enough). This is not to say that I don't like Copenhagen - quite the opposite. You could certainly rent bikes there and make it out along the Oeresund to the North. Possibly fitting in the Little Mermaid, which is quite a stroll away from the downtown area.

If you manage to cut down time in either Brussels or Amsterdam by at least one more day, you might have the option of including a day in Germany. However, this would more or less rule out flying between cities. Trains would be your alternative.

Still you could check out cheap flight connections on

http://www.whichbudget.com

Depending on which kind of architecture you are interested in, BTilke's suggestions of Hamburg and Luebeck are quite attractive, I think (and very reliable as usual - in fact I am surprised and a bit "wowed" at the mention of Hamburg from her).
Luebeck is a beautifully preserved/ rebuilt medieval city featuring quite a few remarkable old buildings in an otherwise very well preserved environment.
Hamburg, on the other hand, was heavily destroyed in WWII, but has IMHO beautifully recovered by renovating classical and art-déco buildings and blending in numerous newer structures from very renowned architects.
There is a huge area close to the port that is currently under development by the name of "Speicherstadt" which is architecturally very interesting and also can give an impressive insight into modern city planning.
Other notable buildings have been recently erected along the River Elbe, too. Partly due to this, Hamburg was on renowned "Wallpaper" Magazine's hotlist of cities to visit last year.

There are not too many museums worthy of a trip, though.

But your requirement of good food would most certainly be met. There is a tremendous choice of restaurant and cuisine styles and a remarkably high number of star decorated establishments.
For full disclosure, I live in the city and therefore might be considered as slightly biased.

On the other hand, this schedule might be a bit rushed. It might especially be nice to have some down-time at the end of your trip in Copenhagen to get some rest and relaxation before your return - and Copenhagen certainly offers that opportunity being so "hyggelig" (cosy). You would then indeed be limited to the three cities you mention or the alternative itinerary of BTilke.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 01:18 AM

HSV, my personal opinion of Hamburg hasn't changed, but I know lots of other Fodorites like it, so it's a viable alternative and is a good stopping point between Brussels and Copenhagen. Personally, I would spend those nights in Luebeck, but the OP says he wants big cities.

P.S. Did you see my post on Oberstdorf v. Seefeld? Any thoughts?
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 02:00 AM

I think Amsterdam has more to do than Copenhagen, especially considering daytrip possibilities in each case. But I had no problem with six nights in Copenhagen a couple years ago, and five nights in Amsterdam a few months ago. But if you have to choose, I'd say 40% Copenhagen, 60% Amsterdam, one way or the other. I don't know about Brussels, but I have read many who praise Brugge.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:51 AM

on the way to amsterdam, why not stop in the city of utrecht, founded by the romans in 49AD. get off the rail train at utrecht central station and walk east to the oude gracht (old canal, circa 12th century) then walk south: while there check out the Dom Church tour, netherlands rail museum, and walk the new canal (very beautiful in morning (both canals are sunken and you'll walk down stairs to get to water level. have dinner at Gauchos (on the old canal) 2nd best ribs i ever tasted (best is at the dobbin house in gettysburg pennsylvania). when done in utrecht, amsterdam is just 30min futher north by rail. enjoy your trip!!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:02 AM
yk

How about 2 days in Brussels, 4 in Amsterdam, and 3 in Copenhagen?

You mentioned you like museums - but what kind? Assuming art museums, you'll find plenty of those in Amsterdam.

You can spend 1 day in Brussels, 1 daytrip to Brugge, then head to Amsterdam. I highly recommend visitng Delft and Den Haag as a day trip from Amsterdam.

If you click on my screen name, you can read my trip reports on Brussels & Amsterdam (I visited Brussels May 05 and Jan 06, and Amsterdam in May 05).
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:15 PM

Denmark is a GREAT bike riding country. I shipped my bike there summer before last and had a great time. Actually, there are a lot of bike clubs there and I found that I could have left mine at home.

I've made the drive from Amsterdam to Copenhagen a couple of times. The country side is flat and not all that appealing if you take a direct route. Having said that, I'd prefer 20 hours driving on my own than 10 hours on a train. I've never viewed driving in Europe as simply getting from point A to point B, as a lot of people on this forum apparently view it. For me, cars and Europe are like skis and snow; a great combo.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:18 PM

You can also take a budget flight between Amsterdam and Copenhagen. See
http://www.whichbudget.com/en/cheapflights.php?from=CPH