Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Brussels airport: No Foie Gras, No Marzipan!

Dec 20th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Brussels airport officials regretfully announced that passengers can no longer carry foie gras or marzipan in their hand luggage. It will be confiscated as part of the new rules. They have apparently collected quite a bit over the past week, as people start their holiday travel and many believe (erroneously) that those items were ok as they weren't strictly liquids. But they're not.
The airport also recently opened a pharmacy in the main (pre checkin) area, which will stock a good selection of European skin and hair products as well as medicine. The pharmacy is open every day from 7 am to 7 pm. So if you missed picking up some last minute fancy soaps or other items, you can get them there. Any creams, liquids, etc. would have to go in checked baggage, however.
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:53 AM

I was reading on the Zurich airport website that sandwich spreads and camenbert(?) are also considered liquids and are not allowed on board!
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

That's right, I forgot, all jams, honeys, and chocolate spreads are also considered liquids and verboten in hand luggage. Good point about the spreads, I bet that applies in Brussels as well.
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:58 AM

All you Nutella freaks better finish before you pass through security!
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Wow, thanks BTilke, you just saved me about 60 euros!
Have two large packs of whole foie gras artisanal, bought in France and carefully carried back to Belgium. We are taking them with us to Scotland tomorrow, as a gift to my mother (she's got 12 guests coming for New Years Eve).
Anyway, I was about to put them in my hand luggage till I read your message!!
So thank you thank you thank you
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:59 AM

This is one of the reasons I'm driving up to Brussels for the hoidays this year...
I can take my foie gras with me.

I guess the marzipan COULD be mistaken for "plastique"....

Patricia
Dec 20th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Don't thank me, thank La Derniere Heure, my favorite Belgian newspaper. Always full of practical tidbits, along with lurid crime stories and sex scandals. Perfect cafe reading!
Dec 20th, 2006, 09:12 AM

This is getting ridiculous. Even the limit with gels. I doubt that airport security treats confiscated items as potential explosives, i.e. very carefully. The Japanese developed in three years a robot that can identify wine varietals in the bottle itself but no one can develop a similar scanner for potential explosives?
Dec 20th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Michael wrote: "The Japanese developed in three years a robot that can identify wine varietals in the bottle itself but no one can develop a similar scanner for potential explosives?"

I think it exists. I was pulled aside after my hand luggage went through a security scanner at JFK and my bag was closely checked. The security guard said that the machine had detected the possibility of explosive material. After he had verified that there was no threat, he said thit it might have been my pipe tobacco that triggered the alarm.
Dec 20th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Camembert and Brie are not allowed in hand luggage flying out of Paris. You can take Gouda or Emmental. Outrageous.
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:04 AM

If I put a slice of camembert in a ziplock, swallow, take a flight, and wait till it comes out - am I still a criminal?
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Yuck Faina!
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Padraig,

if it exists, why then banning all these items for their similarity to potential explosives?
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:27 PM

Michael, there are two points to make in response to your question: 1. the technology is not very precise if it is confused bt pipe tobacco; 2. some of the supposed security measures are there to give people a sense that their safety is being looked after -- even if they make no real difference.

On the other hand, if I put my pipe tobacco in a plastic bottle, it might nout be detected by the machine.
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:33 PM

I would imagine that this might also apply if you are flying BA to the states. I had better warn my inlaws to pack this in the check-in bags as they always bring home tons of marzipan for their grandsons.
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Hanl, were you able to get off to Scotland? Lots of UK flights were canceled due to heavy fog. My husband was in Stockholm on Tuesday and his flight back to Brussels was delayed by about an hour due to fog.
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:35 AM
ira

Hi FA,

>If I put a slice of camembert in a ziplock, swallow, take a flight, and wait till it comes out - am I still a criminal? <

A very unhappy criminal.

Have you noticed how stiff the zip part is?

Put your Camembert into a condom and swallow that. That's how the drug smugglers do it.

Dec 21st, 2006, 08:53 AM

Wow, Ira, you are a very knowledgeable man in all areas and parts
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:36 AM

OK, for our next trip, I'll be looking for 3oz packs of nutella/camembert/foie gras, put them into a ziplock platic bag, and see if I can treat them as in other liquid items!
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:23 AM

Forget about Nutella; get a pot of New Tree chocolate paste at the Belgian supermarket. MUCH better, and less calories than Nutella too, since it doesn't contain oil (practically health food really).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO