Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bruschetta in Rick Steve's Hill Towns show? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bruschetta-in-rick-steves-hill-towns-show-712150/)

scrb Jun 11th, 2007 05:37 AM

Bruschetta in Rick Steve's Hill Towns show?

Local PBS station was showing a bunch of his shows with him in studio for fundraising.

When he got to Orvieto (show goes to hill towns between Tuscany and Umbria), he went to some family-run inn, where they showed him the olive oil mill and then made these big bruschetta, in portions Americans would appreciate.

Big slices of tomatoes too.

Anyone know where that was?

ekscrunchy Jun 11th, 2007 05:41 AM

I saw a Steves show in which he visited an olive oil mill in the Sabine Hills outside Rome..could that be it instead of in Tuscany?

ekscrunchy Jun 11th, 2007 05:41 AM

..or in Umbria...?

cls2paris Jun 11th, 2007 06:41 AM

just guessing - was it a caprese salad? tomato slices, fresh mozzarella slices, basil leaves, olive oil and balsamic vinegar? I serve it with bread and stack the ingredients.

vjpblovesitaly Jun 11th, 2007 06:53 AM

I doubt it was insalata caprese.

Here is the script from the show I think you might be talking about

http://www.ricksteves.com/tvr/hilltownsrse408_scr.htm

I didn’t see the name of the restaurant.

Zerlina Jun 11th, 2007 07:00 AM

>>A good bruschetta is simple: bread toasted over the coals...., garlic, tomatoes, salt and oil. Enjoying a rustic bruschetta is a fine way to cap a visit to a rustic village like Civita de Bagnoregio.<<

He has the bruschetta in Civita di Bagnoregio at the olive mill/restaurant of someone called Maurizio.

Dayle Jun 11th, 2007 08:31 AM

Since we are on the topic of bruschetta, how do you eat the large size? Hands? Fork and knife?

I was served a large slice of toasted bread in Rome that could not be cut with the knife provided (it was SO hard). I had no choice but to use my hands, but I felt self conscious since it was not "bite size".

jodeenyc Jun 11th, 2007 12:01 PM

Hands.

I tried to replicate Italian Brushetta last night .....it was no where near what I had in Italy. The ingredients are just not the quality I had while there.

:(

ira Jun 11th, 2007 12:13 PM

How did he pronounce "bruschetta"?

ekscrunchy Jun 11th, 2007 12:20 PM

It is pronounced brus-ketta and I believe the term actually refers to the bread itself, not the toppings.

ira Jun 11th, 2007 12:23 PM

Reread the question, ek. :)

ekscrunchy Jun 11th, 2007 12:26 PM

sorry, I guess you are asking how the Rickster pronounced the word..

ekscrunchy Jun 11th, 2007 12:30 PM

We happened to have had this for dinner last night with a baby lettuce and dandelion green salad. As I wrote on another thread, I toasted slices of ciabatta and topped the slices with grilled scamorza (aged mozarella), roasted red peppers, and lightly boiled broccoli rabe; I drizzled a little home-made pepperoncino/smoked paprika olive oil on top. We just picked them up with our hands and bit into them. Quite good, even if the scamorza got way too runny in the pan!

rmeyer Jun 11th, 2007 12:52 PM

There are 2 bruschetta stops in Civita di Bagnoregio...and it was just about the best thing I've ever tasted!!! I want more. Now.

Dayle Jun 11th, 2007 01:53 PM

I always make bruschetta for dinner parties. I just slice up a baguette or similar, brush with extra virgin, and broil lightly. You have to watch it every second, burns fast!

Then the toppings are up to you!

mowmow Jun 11th, 2007 03:51 PM

The bruschetta in Civita is the best anywhere.

Must have something to do with toasting the bread over coals. Then they top it with chopped roasted garlic and tomatoes. (bruschetta pomodoro)

My son still talks about how yummy it was and asks me to make it all the time.

scrb Jun 11th, 2007 04:02 PM

I think it was Civita de Banoregio. That came just before or after Orvieto.

Yeah big slices of bread with big slices of tomatoe over a garlic base, topped with oil.

OK got to find the place.

LindaL Jun 11th, 2007 06:19 PM

Rick Steves pronounced it as broosketta.

StCirq Jun 11th, 2007 06:22 PM

OMG! He actually got it right, then? Must've had some feedback from earlier shows on Italy.

The recent Applebee's ads featuring Tyler Florence or whatever his name is and his "bruschetta burger" where they pronounce it brooshetta drive me crazy! All this hype about authentic Italian cooking and they can't even pronounce it right - same with Olive Garden - grrrrr....

LindaL Jun 11th, 2007 07:44 PM

It only took him 20 years to learn it. LOL.