Two night layover in MILAN

Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two night layover in MILAN

For a 2-night stopover in Milan before heading to Paris, I want a Central Station hotel, either HOTEL BERNA or STARHOTELS ANDERSON. Assuming I'll have to walk to the station in a cold late-October rain with my roller luggage, which is the better choice? I've studied the ratings, but know no one who has stayed at either hotel. Any first hand advice?
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 12:51 PM

I don't have experience with the second, but stayed at Hotel Berna last year on a recommendation from Fodorites. I thought it was great - very close to the train station, and walkable to the Duomo area (though you're also obviously close to the Centrale metro). The staff was great and the room was very clean and comfortable.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. The Berna is a bit more expensive, a bit higher-rated, and a bit farther from the train station than the Starhotels Anderson, which is virtually across the street from the piazza in front of the station. Oddly, the Berna's room is deeply discounted on Sat night, and the Anderson is deeply discounted on Sun. I ought to hotel-jump, but it's just too much trouble.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM

Hotel Berna is very close to the Station. Also Hotel Garda (where I stayed) is only two blocks from the station. I found the hotel to be fine, and it was spotless.
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 04:38 PM

It took us max five minutes to walk to the Berna from the station (if that) - I think either way you'll be fine! It did have a vibe to me of catering more to business travelers, which may explain the Saturday evening discount. It was the only place we stayed in Italy where breakfast started before 8:30!
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

I have no problem making big decisions, but it's absurd how I obsess over the little ones, like this. I need to be at the station by 8 a.m. Monday, so I probably won't even get to eat the breakfast I'm paying for. At the Anderson, i'd be given a "superior double room, single occupancy," while for a few $ more, I'd only get a single bed in a single room at the Berna. It sounds like a no-brainer, but I hear nothing but good things about the Berna, and nobody seems to have heard of Starhotels Anderson, also a 4-star hotel.