Reload this Page >

Brugge - Day of Ascension

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 01:05 PM
Brian in Atlanta

I'm just starting to plan a trip to Paris/Brugge for next May. As my wife is subjected to the evil American-style vacation allowance system, we would like to utilize the May 29th Memorial Day holiday (travel May 22 - June 4). <BR> <BR>I understand that June 4 is the Day of Ascension, and that this is the largest festival in Brugge. I have no desire to compete for hotel space in Brugge during this time, so my question is this: Will Brugge be crowded/sold out for the whole week preceeding the Day of Ascension, or is it more of a one-day festival? Thanks for your help!

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 01:08 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Or wait, maybe it's June 1. I seem to be having trouble counting to 40.

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 02:32 PM
wes fowler

Brian in Atlanta, <BR>The Heilig Bloedprocessie (Procession of the Holy Blood) held in Brugges on Ascension Day is a tradition that dates back to the 1100s. Brugges, with its population of about 120,000, entertains an additional 100,000 or so on that day. It is a one day affair but with Brugges as charming a city as it is, I have difficulty imagining that anyone would simply show up for that one day with its mob and not hang around another day or two to really explore and enjoy the city. In other words - book now! (If you're looking for a charming hotel reasonably priced [though perhaps not during that week] drop me an Email. <BR> <BR>Wes in Roswell, just up the road a piece from Atlanta. <BR>

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 05:29 AM
kathy

Brian, this past May we left Brugge the Monday prior to Ascension Thursday. Some of the store owners (Verbecke Chocolates, specifically) planned to close for holiday weekend taking a holiday themselves. As I understand though, the parade is something special to see. Sorry we missed it! During our stay in Brugge and Paris, we encountered three European holidays last year - May 1, Ascension Thursday and another that escapes me right now. Our timing was 5/5-5/17, but none interrupted our journey.

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 05:39 AM
martha python

Kathy--was it perhaps Liberation of Europe day (May 8)?

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 05:52 AM
kathy

That's it Martha! How did I forget; it also was my grandaughter's birthday.

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 12:42 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Wes and Kathy, thanks for your help. We'll look to make our trip the week before Memorial Day. <BR> <BR>I will surely post more questions as we continue to plan, but I'll be sure to do a search first!

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 10:13 AM
wes fowler

Brian, <BR>Dug out a brochure from Brugges that indicates the Procession of the Holy Blood will take place on June 1, 2000. The ritual begins with a service at the Basilica of the Holy Blood from 8:30 to 10:15 followed by a Pontifical High Mass at St. Saviour's Cathedral then the procession from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Reserved/numbered seats in grandstands are available at 400 BEF per person, benches from 150 BEF per person and are available after March 1 by contacting the Tourist Office at Burg 11, B-8000 Brugges. Contact tel: 050 44 86 64 for info or fax: 050 44 86 00.