Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bruges Hotel Advice? Pand, De Tuilerieen, Grand Hotel Casselbach?

Jan 9th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

I have narrowed it down to these three hotels. All look great, and all are around the same price; but the room at the Pand is significantly smaller for the same money, and the Casselbach has a better deal, including breakfast.

Any advice? Any appreciable difference in locations?

Thank you.
Jan 13th, 2011, 07:37 AM

I haven't stayed at the three hotels you listed (my husband and I stayed at Hotel Patritius while visiting Bruges on our honeymoon) but personally I'd opt for the one that offers breakfast especially since you mentioned that the Pand has smaller rooms so I'd probably eliminate that one from the running). I know free hotel breakfasts can greatly vary but our hotel in Bruges offered one and while European continental style, i.e. not American buffet, it stil gave us a great start to the day. Always nice to save some $$ when you can.

Good luck!

traveltalesfromtheredheadedtraveler.blogspot.com/
(My travel writing blog)
Jan 13th, 2011, 08:16 AM

We just booked a B&B rate at the Grand for 106E per night, an excellent rate. I looked at the three on your list and this was by far the best deal. It looks lovely and gets great reviews.
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

kfusto, Do you mind if I ask where you found that rate? It is quite a bit lower than what I have found (though I will not book with overly restrictive cancellation policies). Thank you.
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:54 PM

It has no restrictions and I booked it on their website last week. It is advertised as a promo for 125E per night but when I put it our dates (November) it priced at 106E for a classic room with large bed, breakfast and a glass of champagne. I emailed the hotel and confirmed that the Classic Room category was in the renovated section of the hotel.
Jan 20th, 2011, 11:58 AM

Do you mean the Casselbergh (as opposed to Casselbach)? If so, I can definitely recommend a stay there. I stayed for 2 nights back in September 2010 and loved it. Rooms looked to be recently renovated and modern, the included breakfast was very generous (both hot and cold items), and it's about a 2-3 minute walk to the Markt. You can't really beat it.
Jan 22nd, 2011, 12:36 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Casselbergh. Thank you. I've booked it.
Feb 7th, 2011, 08:52 AM

May I ask where you found the information about the size of the rooms in each hotel? I'm looking for a hotel in Bruge now for April. I was leaning towards the Pand.

Also, if you skip breakfast at the hotel (I'm not a big breakfast fan), are there cafes where you can get fruit and coffee nearby?
Feb 8th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Original Poster

Countrychick: When I was looking at rates and tried to book The Pand on the SLH site, the room descriptions included size. The "Charming Rooms" are listed as 18 sq. meters. The higher room categories are larger.
Feb 8th, 2011, 08:41 AM

Countrychick -

One of my favorite spots to grab a breakfast is at The Daily Bread (Het Dagelijks Brood). It's actually a chain (seen 'em in NYC and London) but quite excellent for a pastry and a coffee. It's located on Philipstockstraat.