Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   bruges and what else? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bruges-and-what-else-782578/)

CHINMUM May 3rd, 2009 03:37 PM

bruges and what else?

hello we are planning to go to bruges from london driving in june, where else can we go, we have about 4 days. have been to brussels and antwerp.

mdtravel May 3rd, 2009 04:09 PM

Amsterdam? Ghent is pretty amazing as well actually, like a smaller Brugges with far fewer people.

greg May 3rd, 2009 04:11 PM

I did Ghent as an easy day trip from Bruges.

tower May 3rd, 2009 04:32 PM

Chinmum

You may also find that Antwerp is an easy day trip..a rather fascinating city that seems to have been missing from many itineraries of those who visit Belgium. I have been there several times and find it a good take-in. The diamond industry is in evidence throught the city, including a diamond museum. The Rubens House is an intriguing place to visit, also. Just strolling the city is very pleasing. Give it a shot.

stu t.

Mainhattengirl May 3rd, 2009 08:50 PM

About 15 minutes away is Oostende and the North Sea. Great promenade for miles down the beach, town is fun for shopping (chocolate is cheaper there than in Brugge, but still hand-made) WW2 embankments are still there in the dunes. Has some really nice architecture. I liked it there, the sea atmosphere was different. I think the train from Brugge was only about 3.50€.

Ghent sounds good though too.

virginiafish May 3rd, 2009 09:42 PM

Ghent

Tulips May 3rd, 2009 11:29 PM

If the weather is good, you could also go to Knokke, on the coast. Rent bicycles and visit the nature reserve Zwin. There are some great restaurants, and great (though expensive)shopping (and open on Sundays).

Or if you're interested in WW1 history, visit Ieper and the Flanders Fields museum.

di2315 May 4th, 2009 02:03 AM

I second the suggestion to visit Knokke - obviously a playground for the wealthy (judging by the window displays for food and clothing shops); also a trip to Damme, a little village just outside Bruge. It has an interesting historical story, and a lovely walk beside the local canal.

Aramis May 4th, 2009 03:40 AM

Ghent is like a smaller Brugges (sp)? That statement is hard to believe from someone who has been to both.

Ghent is twice the size of Brugge.

Brugge also "plays" much smaller since it's historic centre feels like a town - 20,000 inhabitants.

For something quite different, take drive to the battle fields of Flanders. Ieper (Ypres) is an attractive city and the cemeteries and memorials are very moving.

mdtravel May 4th, 2009 05:16 AM

Without regard to population (thanks for that info though) I'm sticking with my sentiment that Ghent feels smaller. I just looked over my dozens of pictures and the crowds in Brugge are enormous while almost non-existent in Ghent. Traveled to both on the same day with Brugge in the a.m. and Ghent in mid-p.m. Brugge may be more compact, Ghent felt far less touristy though that element was still there obviously. I didn't have the waffle and fry kiosks right in the main scqure in Ghent, there were four in Brugge. So larger native population but on my visit far fewer tourists.

I had considered going to Antwerp and swapped out Amsterdam in its place. On that day there was some huge festival in Amsterdam and we didn't really get a legit feel for it I guess. There were carnival rides in the main square.

I had also thought about going to some of the WW cemetaries and memorials. That seems like it would ge a good option for you.

CHINMUM May 4th, 2009 05:53 AM

thanks everyone, ghent and knokke seem to be the clear winners. i am now just looking for the best place to stay in bruges for 7 adults and 2 toddlers

StCirq May 4th, 2009 07:38 AM

I thought you were going to visit vineyards in France. You have competing threads going on here - confusing.

billbarr May 4th, 2009 09:04 AM

wow Chinmum, you let me know in another thread that you'd booked for Mykonos from London for 5 days starting 10th May. If you are also travelling to France and Belgium the logistics of it all could be a nightmare.

Bill

billbarr May 4th, 2009 09:09 AM

Chinmum I read you are also visiting the Netherlands, How much time do you have to do this trip? It could be a bad idea, particularly with toddlers, to visit so many places (countries!) unless time is plentiful.

Bill

Padraig May 4th, 2009 09:17 AM

Yes to Ghent as a good suggestion. I prefer it to Bruges.

Ypres is also worth visiting if you have an interest in WW1. It was pretty well flattened in that conflict. The museum in the rebuilt Cloth Hall is remarkable: I found it very moving.

CHINMUM May 5th, 2009 03:07 AM

hey billbarr, i am going to mykonos on the 10th. we are in london for the last 3 months, before we move back to our country, so our plan is to see as much europe possible in this time frame. unfortunately work doesnt permit longer periods, thus we are doing 4 days trips each time. so first we go to mykonos, then with friends to bruges for 2 days , thinking of doing a short trip to visit some vinyards in france ( as these are easily done by car). netherlands in july would be our last, but hoping to do rome as well sometime in june.