Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bruges (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bruges-1479782/)

jdurham Oct 7th, 2017 03:25 AM

Bruges

My daughter (18 yrs) and friend are taking the Eurostar train from London to Brussels end of October . They have a short stay leaving on a Friday morning and returning Sunday afternoon. We are looking at Bruges for them to stay as it's cute and charming. They are not partiers. Have not looked yet -but wanted advice on accommodations. Either hotel or hostelwe are insure. They are 18 so 3 star would be good. Looking for location in the centre/nearby the train. Also thinking they could spend Friday afternoon/nights in Bruges and then Do a day trip somewhere on Saturday. Ghent? Suggestions?
Finally tips for the train from UK to Bruges (it's their first time travelling alone on the train)and then any recommendations for them once in Bruges.
Thanks!

PatrickLondon Oct 7th, 2017 04:15 AM

Can't help with Bruges, but when booking the Eurostar, they should make sure they book for "Any Belgian station" - that way they don't have to pay extra for Brussels to Bruges; they should also be aware, if they aren't already, that Belgium has two principal languages, so they need to know that Brussel Zuid and Bruxelles Midi are the same station, likewise that Bruges is Brugge in Flemish.
https://help.eurostar.com/faq/uk-en/...on-ticket-work

As for getting on the Eurostar: they will need to go through an airport-style security check on entering the lounge in St Pancras (likewise on their return through Brussels), and should allow time for that. Once through that, they pass through passport checks, and then are "officially" in Belgium - no more checks on arrival. They should remember the number of their coach and seats, as that will dictate which way to turn to get up to the right bit of the platform (bear in mind the trains have something like 18-20 coaches).
https://www.seat61.com/London-to-Paris-by-train.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhHs6uVT_gg&t=16s

Don't expect any dramatic views or scenery en route. Entering the Channel Tunnel is just like entering any other tunnel.

kerouac Oct 7th, 2017 04:58 AM

Bruges is not a party town. It is more a sleepy retirement coach trip town.

PalenQ Oct 7th, 2017 05:25 AM

Yes like Patrick London says be sure to buy the ABS - Any Belgian Station fare for a few pounds above the actual Eurostar fare as this lets them take any train within 24 hours of their Eurostar arrival in Brussels to Bruges and likewise back to Eurostar train. For lots of good info on Belgian trains and Eurostar bookings yes www.seat61.com - for general info on trains www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Gent is yes a short train ride - cheap just buy tickets once in Bruges but leave in flux - they really have only one full day in Bruges - and maybe rent a bike and cycle around a bit as many Belgians do.

nannibray Oct 7th, 2017 06:21 AM

Lucky girls! Brugge is beautiful and full of wonderful sights. I would not do a side trip on Saturday. There are just too many good things in Brugge to fill up the Saturday and these things are superior to Ghent IMO. For example this is what my husband and I accomplished in a full day in Brugge:

1)Church of Our Lady with the only Michelangelo sculpture outside of Rome
MOTHER AND CHILD
2)St Salvator Cathedral
3)Basilica of the Holy Blood with it's upper and lower church
4)Ascend the Belfort for magnificent views over Brugge
5)City Hall interior with its Gothic Renaissance flavor
6)Beautiful MARKET SQUARE
7)Can cruise the canals -( we did not do this)
8)visit Begijnhof (old hospital museum)
9) ** Rented bikes -( for 4 hours) and biked to Damme- 6 km away past authentic windmills, getting a rural flavor of Belgium countryside past cows, horses, pretty houses. After we reached the main canal there was a paved bike path directly to Damme - 5-6 KM away. Then while still having the bikes passing several more windmills on the outskirts of the "old town" and then back into the Old Town. Our daughter had done this with a "paid" bike tour" several years before but we managed fine on our own. Saved the tour price and had more independence. (We were seniors and managed fine. ) The bike rental place gave us the directions. (also recommended in Rick Steves).

I realize that they may not be "church" visitors but these are good to do if it is raining and in any case they should see Michelangelo's sculpture - (MOTHER AND CHILD) in the church of Our Lady. Also the inside visit to the City Hall is beautiful.
IF it is Sunny and nice it is just great to wander the streets, canals, and view the shops full of chocolate and other goodies.

Now, they could do this on Saturday and return to Brussels in the early evening. I recommend this because when we were there we stayed at the NH ARENBERG GRAND PLACE. (This**** hotel was 1/2 price on weekends! a real bargain. The hotel is only about 2 blocks from the train station and a few meters from the GRAND PLACE. Perfect.
See Brussels in the "night lights" and more on Sunday before leaving:
Brussels:
1) Beautiful Grand Place with its gothis buildings.
2) visit Manneken Pis
3)Upper Town Square and Royal Place
A) Fine Arts Museum with Rubens ASCENT TO CALVARY
B) Gothis Notre Dame du Sablon church
C) Pretty Place du Petit Sablon
D) Parc De Bruxelles

Depart From Brussels Sunday afternoon.
In Brugge we stayed in a B&B recommended by Rick Steves -Koen Dieltiens. We may have taken a taxi to it. It was convenient while we were in Brugge. LOVED BRUGGE!

jdurham Oct 8th, 2017 09:46 AM

awesome train tips...thanks PatrickLondon!

Thanks for all the advice nannibray. Hmmm wondering if they should stay in Brussles then and have their day trip on saturday to Brugge? I know they won't want to have their 2 nights in 2 different places. They are lazy teenagers. I was thinking they wouldn't really see Brussles...
Thanks again:)

PalenQ Oct 8th, 2017 12:37 PM

Bruges is not a party town. It is more a sleepy retirement coach trip town.>

Oh so so wrong - ALL Belgian towns are in some places party towns and Bruges is a very real town outside its compact old historic core. t'Zand is a square with many night spots for younger folk - younger college kids on bike trips I led thru there always found a lot of energy in Bruges in that regard.

menachem Oct 14th, 2017 03:43 AM

I'd stay in Gent and daytrip to Brugge.

Saraho Oct 14th, 2017 04:02 AM

Two nights in Bruges would be great.

jan47ete Oct 14th, 2017 04:35 AM

Just came back Wednesday night from trip with Bruges as my first stop. Spent 3 nights at Hotel Botanik which had a great location and a good place for the girls.

Spent arrival PM there as well as the next day, then off to Ghent for the day and left for Brussels the following day.

Ghent would be OK as a base but Bruges so crowded during the day, it is nice to be there when the crowds leave.

jdurham Oct 17th, 2017 02:38 PM

Thanks All!
Ok so they are all booked and due to some unavailability they are staying at and Airbnb in Ghent. Their choice. They will arrive Friday and then do their day drip to Brugge on the Saturday.

The host tells them they are closes to Dompoort Train Station. So my question is...can you tell us the best way from Bruxelles Midi to Dampoort Train Stn. Then they are 15 min walk to their house. Apparently.

From what I gather everything in Ghent is pretty close? So we don't need to worry about anything being too far apart (i.e.. Airbnb to train station to city centre (Patershol)?

We have asked the host but I walkways like to double check to avoid disappointing surprised.

Thanks!

lavandula Oct 17th, 2017 03:59 PM

Yes, you catch a train from Bruxelles-Midi to Gent St. Pieters and change trains (trains in the direction of Antwerp). Gent Dampoort is on the line to Antwerp. Have a look plugging in your own details on www.belgianrail.be .

Lavandula

PatrickLondon Oct 17th, 2017 10:00 PM

Finding your way around and making the connection at Bruxelles Midi:

https://www.seat61.com/stations/brussels-midi.htm

bilboburgler Oct 17th, 2017 11:23 PM

Ok, the European star system has little to do with luxury and more to do with facilites, a lift gets you so many points etc. So really don't worry about it.

For such a short trip I'd look at position and price, stay as close to the old town as possible (use google maps to see the medievel street shape) that they want to pay, monitor for breakfast included, that's it.

PalenQ Oct 18th, 2017 08:57 AM

And use that ABS fare you can nab with Eurostar tickets and then you can take any train to Gent S Peters and onto Gent Dampoort- on east side of Gent and close enough to walk to everything.

Get ABS fare to return to Brussels too of course.

https://www.eurostar.com/be-en/conne...station-ticket