Bruge :1 1/2 days : what to do ?

Aug 20th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Bruge :1 1/2 days : what to do ?

On our upcoming Europe tour, we will be stopping over in Bruge, by train, on our way to
Amsterdam from Paris. From what I've seen a canal trip is a must. Any other ideas for our short stay? Bike rental a good idea ? Anyway have any favorite restaurants or Chocolate shops ? Belgium Chocolates .... yum !
Thanks in advance... everyone is always so helpful in this forum and I so appreciate it !
Aug 20th, 2013, 09:57 AM

Drink lots of beer.
Aug 20th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Aug 20th, 2013, 11:21 AM

a good bike road goes along canals to Damme, old port of Bruges before it was silted up -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5TfDArKb04
Aug 20th, 2013, 11:53 AM

When we are not on a bike, our interest is primarily art. We spent time in the Netherlands and Belgium primarily to see collections of Low Country painters, so many of which took the enlightenment that the Italian Renaissance gave and multiplied the skills exponentially.

Bruges has some top notch collections in several locations that cover painting in the Low Countries from the 15th to the 20th centuries by painters such as Jan van Eyck, Rogier van der Weyden, Hieronymus Bosch, and Hans Memling.
Aug 20th, 2013, 12:10 PM

Spend your 1.5 days walking around and exploring - Bruges is a great walking town. Take a canal ride; do it early the second day if you can, to avoid mobs of tourists waiting in line. Rent bikes you if want and the weather cooperates. If you have any interest in art, the Groeninge Museum (Flemish paintings) is probably a must-see (I'm not a "museum person" and even I kind of liked it.) 1.5 days will go fast.
Aug 20th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyones input !
Aug 28th, 2013, 06:59 AM

Just back. My favorite thing in Bruges was to get up very early -- starting from our canalside hotel around 6:00 -- and walk. First i walked to the Beginhof area (that gate opens at 6:30 and i had it to myself, along with the swans below the footbridge that takes you inside), passing by the museum area, Church of our Lady, and coming back to the center through some shopping streets as the deliveries were arriving. Then i kept walking past the Markt and toward the north end of town, past the statue of Jan Van Eyck, past the beautiful homes of merchants in the heyday, toward the Jerusalem church, and then circling back to the center. I saw almost no one at that hour. it was magical.
Aug 28th, 2013, 07:58 AM

The Groeninge museum has some very interesting and unusual works, like Bosche. Also depictions of 'beauties' from the centuries gone by which are very different from the current convention of what is attractive. I found this fascinating.

The Old Hospital/Memling museum is also worth some time - lots of gruesome medical implements and paintings of the afflicted in vast open plan 'wards'.

It's a lovely city for just wandering too, with lots of good eats. You don't really need much of an itinerary tbh.
Aug 28th, 2013, 08:25 AM

The Chocolate Line for chocolates.
Aug 28th, 2013, 01:30 PM

You can practically walk all around old Bruges on paths on top of wide ramparts - a circle tour with a few gaps. A favorite jobbing place for locals.