brown's hotel dining

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brown's hotel dining

Is my husband required to schlep a sport's coat to London from the US in order to eat at The Grill? It will take up room that could be better used for other items.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM

If you'll be in London any time other than the summer months your husband will find plenty of use for a sport coat besides dining at Brown's.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What does he plan on wearing besides a sports coat??

A sports coat, tweed jacket or tailored leather jacket - that sort of thing is probably the most useful garment he can take. Not just for dining at Browns but for just every day wear.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

I guess if he has to wear a sports coat he would also have nice slacks, shirt & tie. We can always mail them home after we are done in London. I wouldn't think he would need it on the long bus tour after London or on the visit to Kintyre & Arran after the tour.

He plans on slacks, long sleeved shirts, wind jacket & rain coat so he can layer.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Just how small IS that one bag you are taking with you?

If necessary, your husband could carry the sport coat on the plane couldn't he?

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Please tell us what other item you will take instead of a sport coat. A dark blue or black sport coat is part of the uniform of a sophisticated traveler. Why pack it? Wear it. I guarantee your travel services will be better than if you wear a Chicago Bears sweat shirt!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:38 AM

I've no idea, and it's interesting none of the previous respondents seems to, either. Ask Brown's. But why on earth do you want to eat there anyway?

There are umpteen thousand better restaurants (and dozens within a few yards of Brown's) who DON'T have the affrontery to tell their customers how to dress. Brown's has zero (absolutely zero) reputation for food: why waste your money there?

There's virtually nothing you need a sports jacket for in London, and wearing one is mostly the sign of the most provincial of visitors. The thought that, in this city, how you're served depends on what you wear is simply barmy.

Leave the sports jacket at home, and eat in proper restaurants.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:46 AM

I would be inclined to bring a suit, but a sport coat will do. Oh, don't forget to bring a tie.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

My husband would never wear a sweatshirt on a flight. We are both nicely dressed altho not for a night on the town.

My aunt loved the Brown hotel in the 40s 50s & 60s & has asked us to dine there. My husband will wear the sportscoat on the plane & we will probably mail it & my "dress up pants suit" after our week in London
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 04:56 PM
vcl

dville:
Browns has just reopened after changing hands and undergoing about 18 months of renovations. For the most part, it is now very different from the way your aunt remembers it, although it is my understanding that tea is once again a specialty and retains its charm.
We were Brown's fans for years, but it was closed on our last two UK visits so I haven't seen the renovations for myself. It certainly looks a lot different on the website.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Be sure to write "used clothing" on the package going home so you don't get hit for customs duty.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:22 AM
ira

Hi dv,

>..My husband will wear the sportscoat on the plane ...<

He'll be more comfortable if he takes it off and puts it in the luggage rack.

Have a nice visit.

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 03:53 AM

I wonder what the American definition of a "sports coat" is ? I think it may differ from the British definition : to us, a sports jacket is a checked jacket, either tweed or smooth wool. By the reference to a dark blue or black sports coat I'm guessing it means something different in the US. Is it what we'd call a blazer ? Or just any formal / semi-formal type jacket (as opposed to an anorak or whatever) which isn't part of a suit ?

*Very* few restaurants nowadays insist that a man wear a jacket and/or tie; but if it's a formal restaurant, I think most men would want to wear a jacket just to fit in.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:12 AM
ira

Hi CE,

A sports jacket in the US is any semi-formal type jacket.

To me, a formal jacket is a Tuxedo or a dinner jacket.

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Actually a tuxedo (dinner suit) is semiformal attire. Formal dress means white tie and tails.

Dress has become more casual in Britain, but traditionally a sports coat was for wear in the country. It was originally designed for riding or shooting, hence the name sports coat. In London a suit, or at least a navy blazer, was the thing to wear.

It used to be said that you could always spot an American in London by the sports coat. Don't let me intimidate you, though, wear what you like. But for dinner in Brown's Grill you will need a coat and tie.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you all, He will wear a coat & tie & mail the clothes home as "used clothes"-I certainly hadn't thought of that one.