Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Brotherleelove - experts please help with itinerary

Jun 30th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

We are traveling to Greece for the first time - family of four (two 17 yr old boys) mom and dad. We fly into Athens from Munich arrive 2:50pm on Sept. 18th. We depart from Athens to Munich Sept. 25th 4:30pm.

We are interested in seeing Athens, Nafplion, and Santorini.

Schedule so far: bus to Nafplion Sept. 18th settle in - night. Sept.19th trip to Mycenea morning, Ancient Corinth in afternoon. Sept. 20 Nafplion and Epidauros

Sept 21st travel to Santorini in morning

Should we travel by Hydrafoil from Nafplion or return to Athens and take Aegena Air to Santorini?

Sept. 21st in Oia
Sept 22nd in Oia

Sept. 23rd return to Athens spend late afternoon touring Plaka etc.

Sept. 24th take day trip (12 hours private driver) to Delphi return to Athens

Sept. 25th morning Acropolis and National museum fly out at 4:30pm

Is there a better way to arrange the trip? Should we begin in Athens and then go to Santorini, Nafplion and finish in Athens? Flights on Aegean are still 19E (some one way are 10E) - is it worth it to travel from Nafplion to Athens to fly to Santorini?

Is the high speed pretty reliable in late September?

I'm also looking for help with a family suite or two doubles reasonably priced (300E or less)for Athens in the Plaka area (view of Acropolis) would be nice. AVA looks good.

Advice is appreciated. Mary

Jul 1st, 2007, 01:09 AM

You will have to return to Athens from Nafplion and then either take a ferry from Pireaus or a flight from Athens Airport. Since most Santorini ferries leave around 0730, you'll need to be there early. If you can still get the €19 Aegean tickets, that would be the way to go.

Whether to go to Nafplion first or save it until after Santorini makes little difference. One advantage of going to Santorini first, if you can get a connecting flight that fits well with your arrival from Munich, it would save you even having to leave the airport.
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:27 AM

I agree with Heimdall totally. Arrive in Athens, walk down hall & get plane to Santorini...with luck u can get the 4:30 Aegean for 19E (actually with tax etc its about 45E apiece), be in Santorini 5:30, plenty of time for a sunset dinner.

After Santorini, take a hi-speed ferry to Piraeus, taxi directly to Bus Station A, busses to Nafplio (2.5 hours)run each hour on half-hour. CAUTION: if u go on a Friday, try to catch bus no later than 1530-- to avoid the rush hour traffic of Athenians getting away for weekend.

This sequence gives u maximum choice in your return bus time; busses start at 6:30 am. BTW, if your boys want a sandy beach (and the water is wonderfully warm in September) Tolo is only 20 minutes away by bus and --even better -- get off the Tolo bus early and discover Asine ... great Ruin PLUS glorious (empty) beach.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:05 PM

We did just about the same trip in May.
We flew into Athens and immediately rented a car then drove to Nafplio. It took us 2-1/2 hours.
We spent 3 nights in Nafplio then we drove back to the Athens airport to catch our flight to Santorini. Spent 4 glorious nights in Santorini then flew back to Athens for our last 2 days.

I also struggled with how best to arrange everything.
As it turns out, this worked perfectly for us!

I wrote a detailed trip report and posted photos, but for some reason the thread for the post won't work.
If you'd like to read it, click on my username and you'll find it under: Trip Report: Nafplio, Santorini & Athens

Good luck and happy travels
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Heimdall, traveljan, and luv2globetrot - I'll read the trip report. I like the idea of catching Santorini first - saving the trip back from Nafplio. Thanks for the tip on the beaches - I know they'll want to spend some time there - we like the idea of finding some quite down time.

WHat are your thoughts on the Atrium Hotel in Athens?
Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM

Can't help u on fancy hotels, I'm a budgeteer ... in Nafplio, tho, I do like hotel Leto (google it) because of its GREAT location; The back of this hotel is against the high ramparts so ALL rooms look down on town & bay; be sure to ask for balconies. If this hotel is booked (its a small family hotel, 14 rooms) the Hotel Diaskouri about 50 yards away also has splendid views if u ask for rooms overlooking the town.
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:30 AM

http://www.magicaljourneys.com/Nafpl...els-byron.html
Hotel Byron is also really nice. I didn't like Hotel Diaskouri which I refer to as Hotel Discouraging but maybe it was just the room I got.
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:55 AM

I favor Hotel Leto because it has more reasonable rates than Byron... of course it depends on how far up the stair-step streets you want to climb --- Byron is lower, thus easier on aging knees.

However Leto looks down on Byron's roof, so to me, the view is superior (in both senses).

Incidentally, for those whose knees will allow NO climbing, on my last visit i checked out Hotel Victoria, which is directly below Leto, on the level, 2 corners away from the square...a good answer for nonclimbers.

NOTE: Taxis will go to DIaskouri/Leto's door when u arrive with bags, but during your stay you'd go up & down.