It would be great if travellers can comment on this broad plan for a 2 week holiday in Italy. We are travelling with our 4 year old daughter, so dont want to be too rushed, and dont need to see every single thing in architecture & art. We would be flying into and out from Rome. Besides rome, we want to cover tuscany region and the amalfi coast.
Day 1 - 4: Explore Rome
Is it better to spend all 4 days together or break the roman part into 2? I havent done much research into train trips, so not sure if we can go staright from chianti / florence to amalfi / sorrento or need to go to Rome first (from tuscany) and then onwards to amalfi coast.
On the flip side, we might get a good deal by spending all 3/4 nights together at 1 hotel in rome.
Day 5 - 8: Chianti & Florence
Is it a good idea to base ourselves in chianti fo all 4 days? I am thinking some nice villa or monastery converted into a hotel. Where to book a car for these 4 days? Can we do a day trip to Florence from here, or is it better to explore chianti for 2 days and then move to Florence and stay there? Should we take a train from Rome to Florence, see the city, book a car and then drive to chianti?
Day 9 - 12: Amalfi coast & Pompeii
We want to base ourselves in positano here and explore nearby areas / coast / beaches. Any recommendations on restaurants, what to do / see would be appreciated. Can a day trip be done easily to Pompeii? Would it be prudent to again hire a car for a day or two to explore nearby areas?
I realise the above plan is very sketchy and lots of variations are possible, but all tips / suggestions are welcome to help me plan better.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 5 nights in Spain, need help!
- 2 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 3 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 4 Airport Transfer
- 5 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 6 Again, onboard robbery attempts on trains leaving Milano Centrale station
- 7 Which Aran Island??
- 8 Easter Week in Italy
- 9 Getting to FCO from Rome
- 10 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 11 Mifi rentals for Portugal
- 12 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 13 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 14 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 15 Moscow Hotels
- 16 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 17 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 18 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 19 Dublin to Donegal
- 20 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 21 "Occupied" TV series: On location in Oslo
- 22 Cotswold - great food & ambience for lunch!
- 23 Barcelona tour option help please
- 24 New Years in France
- 25 Greece -- Alternative to Athens