Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome-Ancona-Florence in November: Train or Auto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This year's trip has a lot more challenges than those I've previously planned! I'm hoping for some recommendations or cautions to my work-in-progress.

-We will be four adults and a 2-year old, in Rome, over Thanksgiving: 6 nights
-After Rome, we will visit relatives, south of Ancona: 2 nights.
-Then, head west again, with Siena and Florence on the agenda: 5 nights.

I'm thinking we will fly into Rome, and depart from Florence or Pisa.
It's the 7 nights after leaving Rome, that are giving me problems:

a) We could take trains from Rome to Ancona; back to Florence; then day trip to Siena from Florence. (The 2-year old would be free, and some of the trains have "family" areas, with Legos and activities.) Would point-to-point trains be best, or a rail pass?

b) OR, we could rent a car leaving Rome, and drive to Marche; then spend a night or two in Siena and visit a hill town, or two; and drop the car upon arrival in Florence. This would give us more flexibility, but with 4 people and a car-seat, plus luggage, we'd need a full sized car, which could be more of a challenge to park, and navigate through narrow streets .

Anything, in particular, that I should be stressing about? I haven't checked the terrain across that area of Italy, but mountains and early snow would definitely be a vote against driving!
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:32 AM

If it's Thanksgiving then you have a while which is good because the best prices are available 3 months out. I would go with option a since Trenitalia is fast and efficient. If you can plan your itinerary you can buy minifares which while are non exchangeable/refundable but offer some great prices. There are def minifares between Rome and Florence not sure about Rome to Ancona. Florence to Siena is just a regional train so I do believe the price remains the same even on the day, perhaps other posters could advise!?

It's probably cheaper to buy point-to point but the only way to really know is to check fares and compare, since a pass is €161 for 4 days travel within 2 months, I reckon point to point advance fares will be the way to go.
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Florence to Siena you would use the Sita bus as it drops you in the city center (the train doesn't).

Flights departing from Florence or Pisa will be very early as you will have to connect somewhere in Europe. You will probably find flights to be cheaper in and out of Rome.

If you book r/t Rome, I would put the Rome stay at the end of the trip and train to Ancona on arrival day. Then train to Florence, Sita bus to Siena (are you staying a couple of nights in Siena?) and Sena bus from Siena to Rome (doesn't require changes like the train and takes the same amount of time).

http://www.sitabus.it/sita-toscana/F...-Siena2010.pdf

http://www.sena.it/Home/78-1-en.html
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, Loco2! I don't see any minifares that involve Ancona, but looked at the Trenitalia, and RailEurope sites, and now feel more comfortable about the train options. Trains seem to make more sense, even though we'll have to rent a car in Ancona to visit the relatives.

kybourbon, I appreciate the links to the Florence/Pisa bus route. That was very helpful.

Even though the r/t fare to Rome is currently $150 cheaper than open jaw (into Rome, return from Florence), I feel like we'd lose a day. There are no direct flights (that I can find) from anywhere on the US West Coast to Rome, so we're going to have to connect somewhere, anyway. However, that does offer us some civilized departure times!
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
kybourbon, I appreciate the links to the Florence/Pisa bus route.>>

butting in, it's the florence to siena bus route; for florence to Pisa you'd use the train.
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Yes, annhig, that's what I meant ... I'm looking at return fares out of both Florence and Pisa, and obviously not multi-tasking very well. (But, good to know that I'd use the train for Pisa!)
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i wouldn't worry about fares between Florence and Pisa - it's about €7 each way. if you can snag minifares for the longer journeys, that would be good! but even if the pass would be more, it might be worth thinking about if you aren't sure which trains you are going to want to catch.
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I am not being clear, I realize. I was looking at return air fares, trying to determine if we should fly back to the US from Florence or Pisa (after flying in to Rome).

I am, however, getting all kinds of good information and suggestions, based on what I didn't mean to say!
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:33 PM

With 4 people, an infant and luggage for all 5 as well as a car seat, a stroller and all of the things you will need for a toddler - I don;t think any regular car will fit everything. I think you will need some sort of van for 7 people at least. Also - managing all of that "stuff" ona train would be a huge PIA.