Brittany and Normandy in May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends are letting us use their home in Cancale for two weeks.
We'll travel around; either heading back to the house or staying at some inn/b&b if the distance is too great.
Would love itinerary suggestions, places to eat etc.
The third week will be spent in Paris; rented a wonderful apt. in the Marais. Any exciting, mid-priced restaurants? Husband is fluent in French; one barrier taken care of!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 05:49 AM

How lucky you are! Cancale is a popular sea resort with a beautiful beach.

Here some attractions in the area:

- There are scenic drives along the coast, from Cancale westwards. A scenic highlight is Cap Frehel, with Fort la Latte in a very spectacular setting.

- Mont St. Michel is very close, so you have the opportunity to visit before or after the tourist buses.

- St. Malo and Dinard are attractive cities, one a historic corsaire city, the other a traditional seaside resort.

- The Rance bay up to Dinan is scenic, but think of the tides!

This area covers about 10 per cent of Brittany. If you want to see other places, you have to make longer trips.

- One trip would be westwards, in the direction of Brest (total driving time one way about two hours). You may visit the famous enclos paroissials of St. Thegonnec and Guimiliau, they are most typical for Brittany. (In St. Thegonnec, there is a fabulous restaurant with a Bib Gourmand.) You may visit the prehistoric graves of Barnenez (north of Morlaix) and the Castle of Kerjean (north of Landivisiau). This would be a long daytrip, but it will lead you into the very heart of Brittany.

- Another daytrip would lead you in southwestern direction, to the famous prehistoric megalith alignments of Carnac (driving time one way 2 1/2 hours). On the way, you may visit Josselin Castle. In the area of Carnac, visit the Quiberon peninsula (scenic coastline).
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 05:52 AM

Here the website of the restaurant in St. Thegonnec. It is very good and still affordable. It might also be a good place for an overnight stay.

http://www.aubergesaintthegonnec.com/
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

many thanks for your advice--looking forward to our trip.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Make sure you go to the invasion beaches and the cementary. Also, visit Bayeau and see the tapestry. Visit my website for agenda of our trips to France for more ideas. emilyandjim.info
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:30 PM

Hi
How lucky you are to be to have a great place to stay in northern france for two weeks plus a week in Paris too.

BRITTANY
1.Quimper the oldest city and 2.Concarneau a walled city. I was there a few years ago and I think both places are close together. I spent a day in the area driving from Paris. It is really beautiful there and would love to go back. The other plces listed in the first post are great suggestions too.
NORMANDY
1. the beaches of Normandy 2.Honfleur which is a beautiful seaside town famous for Mussels. 3.Etreat is a great place with high cliffs.
Have a great time
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:31 PM

No need to go all the way to Brest, though. One of the least interesting of all Breton cities--virtually destroyed during the WWII since it was a German submarine base--it is pretty much a cement city. If I didn't have friends/family there I wouldn't go there.

Must have been the cheapest way to rebuild right after the war. Now that I think of it, Caen has the same "feel" to it IMO, and it just stuck me that maybe that's the reason why. Cement cities.

Quimper would be my #1 choice outside of your immediate base area to visit. Very historic but comsmopolitan at the same time. Lots to see and do.

One of the Parish Closes would be my #2 choices-Pleyben is my personal favoritre, but they all are neat.

Concarneau gets my vote as well...very intimate ville-close in a beautiful maritime setting.

If you've never been around the sea, however, I'd have to seriously consider a trip to the Pointe du Raz in Finsterre-literlly "the end of the earth". Breathtaking!!

Bretons, as a general rule, are quite reserved so don't take it personally if they don't ooze charm at the hotels and restaurants.