Brits: Brenda's reaction to HM's Oscar?

Feb 26th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Brits: Brenda's reaction to HM's Oscar?

Has anything been reported in the press about Her Majesty's reaction to Helen Mirren's Oscar for her portrayal?
Feb 26th, 2007, 12:55 PM

They are going to meet for lunch

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6396179.stm
Feb 26th, 2007, 01:14 PM

I was amused by a sketch in "Dead Ringers" (an impressions show) last weekend: in which HMQ decides it's time for her to get a slice of Helen Mirren's action, and takes the lead in "Prime Suspect" ("Call me Ma'am - I AM the bloody Queen").
Feb 26th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I was wondering if she was amused or disgusted by the whole affair.

Outside of Hillary Clinton, Helen Mirren is the most famous woman in American right now.
Feb 27th, 2007, 05:12 AM

I thought it was interesting that HM is considered such a hot mama, as noted in the Jack Black/Will Farrell song. And the Dead Ringers HM/Queen Elizabeth sketch was very funny.

Topic: Has Helen Mirren become the Mrs. Robinson of the 21st century? Discuss amongst yourselves.
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:01 AM

HM has always been considered a "hot mam"..or rather a hot babe when she was younger! Read her filmography
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Reports on tv and from HM is that she has heard about a "tea" with the Queen. So, I assume somebody close to the Royals has seen the movie...Wouldn't it be a blast if she shows up looking like the Queen...
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:12 AM

I suspect if Ms. Mirren did show up "looking like the Queen' the real one would undoubtedly repeat Queen Victoria's famous remark, "We are not amused."
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Marginal, The Queen makes it a policy to never comment on stuff like this (she never comments on painted prtraits of herself, for instance, even when at times the results have been hideous). I think there's a few public figures who would do well to follow her example.

What's more, people don't often comment on what's been said during private audiences with Our Leader, so we'll probably be none the wiser AFTER HM has supped tea with HM.
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Well, Kate, even though there may not a be public comments, there are certainly "leaks."
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:59 AM

I'd have thought the answer to this was screamingly obvious.

If someone was playing you in a film or play, you'd be jolly interested in how they portrayed you. You'd probably be even more interested in what your colleagues and family thought about the portrayal.

If you were also Head of State in 15 countries, you'd probably be interested in what the citizens of those countries thought about the portrayal. But - since you'd have kept that job for over 50 years and most of those 15 countries are spectacularly vigorous democracies where public discussion about your role is pretty robust - you'd be smart enough to realise that hardly any of those citizens could give a corgi.

But what a bunch of self-important foreign actors - practically none of them citizens of any of those 15 countries - thought about that portrayal?

Frankly, as someone famously put it to an earlier British Best Actress Oscar winner...

And, after 50 years of successful monarching, you'd have learned how to keep that indifference to yourself.
Feb 27th, 2007, 07:08 AM

"And, after 50 years of successful monarching, you'd have learned how to keep that indifference to yourself."

Congratulations, flanneruk. You've just managed to sum up the entire movie The Queen.